Question for you ol' timers......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question for you ol' timers......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Is there a "perfect mouse trap" design for a floor mobile engine dolly ??? something with 3 casters, a sketch, drawing or blueprint of the ultimate engine floor dolly and a sketch maybe of a 'T" engine conversion plate for a engine stand to include materials needed to build such items. I'll bet there are alotta people interested in making a good one, your input will be greatly appreciated guys. Thank You......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Langs, Snyders, Macs, and 3 or 4 parts sellers will sell you a plate to bolt on your model t motor to use on a standard engine stand. I've been using them for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

I should add that I modified my engine stand so the upright stands square to the floor so I can put the flywheel and transmission on and off without having to cock it to an awkward angle to drop the transmission down on the crankshaft flange when setting the magneto gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

that's a damn good idea Mike, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:03 am:

for engine storage an old shopping cart bottom cut off works good and the roller are heavy duty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Here are a few engine stands I have saved over the years from the forum. The first 5 are standard horizontal engine stands, while the last one is a vertical engine stand for holding the engine upright for installing the heavy transmission and adjusting the magneto gap. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Hey Jim, this is great stuff, everyone including myself appreciate your input, this is really neat. If you can't figure these out, you're in a world a "crap".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 09:16 am:

I added some scrap lumber to some cheap Harbor Freight furniture dollies.

They're not very useful for working on the engine, but great for keeping them on wheels so they're easy to move.

I also have a run stand so I can test run an engine before putting it in a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Whatever design you use, remember that almost 1/2 the weight of the full assembly sits behind the motor mount arms, (i.e. the transmission). If I'm pushing along an engine on my engine dolly, with the trans end pointing forward, and I hit a seam in the driveway or a little pebble, the whole mess wants to up-end. Place the wheels on the trans end several inches back from the location of the pan arms you'll be happy you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Note: Regarding the above vertical upright transmission installation engine stand. The engine block is bolted to the upright support using 4 oil pan installation bolts and nuts. 2 located at the top most pan bolt holes and 2 located at the midway point between the top and the bottom most pan bolt holes.

When building out of plywood, make sure the legs of the upright support are shorter than the block so that it will not interfere with the installation of the magneto coil ring.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Jim, those are some cool stands, but, with all due respect, the one made out of galvanized pipe scares the crap out of me. Threaded pipe has only about 1/2 of the wall thickness of the original pipe, maybe less, depending on how far in it is screwed into the fittings. They can break off VERY easily compared to rest of the pipe. Also, those fittings are malleable iron, not nearly as strong as the Schedule 80(forged steel) fittings. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

No doubt about it. "Perfect" to me is one you can go from vertical to horizontal easily and doesn't interfere a bit with the work that needs to be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Great advice to keep in mind, David. Safety should always be the number one priority.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:41 am:

the pipe one scares me because the fittings unscrew!
David's worry is valid; Finding Schedule 80 pipe and fittings is difficult nowadays. But schedule 80 pipe is twice as thick as 40, so it should do the job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:31 am:

Man, you guys sure came up with a lot of good information, that we all really appreciate, alotta good ideas !!! Think I'm going to run a separate thread on "How to build a Model "T" rotissary", just seems like that item would be extremely usefull. Later guys............

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration