Elk and deer on the road driving a T!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Elk and deer on the road driving a T!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Yesterdays paper came out with a new Warrenton law to not feed the Elk. A week past one large SUV was totaled in an accident with four cows and one calf. Fortunately the driver was OK, the elk were all killed or put down. There have been many accidents involving deer and elk on our local roads I personally have hit two deer with my van thank God not my T. A Harley rider was killed hitting an elk a few years past and many critter accidents are not reported.
My point is there is lots of car shows and great driving in this area just drive like the next few hundred feet a deer or elk is going to jump out in front of your car and if one comes there is usually more behind it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I don't know what the state highway department is thinking when they put the deer crossings in the middle of the woods usually on curves.

They should have the deer cross closer to town where the road is illuminated better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I'd like to see a deer or elk driving a T. Maybe Jay will post a picture of it. :-)

Seriously, there are areas where you really do need to be alert for critters popping out in front of you. I've only hit a deer once, and fortunately the car and the deer were unhurt. But I've come close several times. Sometimes in the local paper's police news about half the items are car-deer collisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Three recent incidents:

My son was driving my modern car when a deer hit him. The first deer safely crossed in front of his car and he slowed down. A second deer ran out and hit the car forward of the front wheel and slid across the hood into the windshield. He and his girlfriend got covered in glass shards but were otherwise okay.

We lost a retiree to a freak accident where the deer was decapitated by the car driving before him and he was hit in the throat by the flying head's antler.

The guy who fared worst was a coworker who hit a deer while riding his motorcycle.

We now have deer in Dearborn; they're using Hines Drive along the Rouge River as their habitat and are becoming a nuisance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Paul,

I have one sister-in-law and her family who live in Warrenton and another in Astoria. We have visited your area many times and I'm very familiar with your deer and elk. They are beautiful and fun to see, but caution while driving a T or anything else is a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Paul, my mom lives in Warrenton and she has deer, elk, foxes, and even a bear that comes up to her house. She's not far off of 101 to boot.
I almost hit a deer in the back woods on my dirtbike. Luckily I ride with other people, but that would have sucked.
I've not come close to an animal on my streetbike, just other people not paying attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:44 am:

"Elk and deer on the road driveing a T!"

"Piano for sale, By a Widow, with mahogany legs."

This ones for Steve, Not a Model T though:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Jay, your picture made me think of this: :-)

http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/2010/02/14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Hutch of Tip Top timers hit a Deer in his Model T, while on an early morning drive in Livingston MT. The collision killed the deer instantly. He shoved the deer off the hood, and completed the MT500. Insurance later totaled the car. When he went back to the scene later in the morning the deer had disappeared. Turns out someone took it home for breakfast!

A couple years earlier Rob Flesner of Chewelah, Wa had Bambie headbutt the drivers side bun panel of his '26 roadster while running his T down the hwy. No deer where harmed in that collision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I should mention the only critter I've hit in my T was a porcupine. Model T 1-Porcupine-0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:43 am:

I almost hit a deer one evening on the way to my favorite bar on a back road in a modern car.
A lot of pickups in South central Texas use cow catcher on their pickups.
I had an interesting trip to Australia some years back. They use kangaroo catchers in the outback on almost all vehicles. There is a very good reason for this. I drove a rental car in Northwest Australia and saw many kangaroo's alongside the roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

I hit a deer with my semi. When it rolled out from under the truck, the guy behind me said it looked like hamburger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Around here, they (Deer. No elk) are not normally a problem in the daylight. My wife hit one last year in her brand new Mustang about dusk. $1800! She hit one 5-6 years ago in the previous Mustang, but no damage. I hit one after dark 4-5 years ago in my F-150. Minimal damage I did not bother to repair. If the Mustang had not been brand new, we wouldn't have fixed it either. You had to really look hard to see the damage, but is was still $1800. I've seen them standing on the side of the road on my way to work for the last three days. Luckily, they stayed put. I don't worry about them in the T's. I seldom if ever drive them near dark, so it's not ever crossed my mind. Motorcycle? Yeah, I think about that a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

A few years back when I went to the Flagstaff AZ train station to check on the next morning's eastbound arrival, the sign on the ticket counter read "Westbound Southwest Chief running 6 hours late...hit deer. Deer won." Naturally I had to inquire never thinking how a friggin TRAIN would be wrecked by a deer...was a bull deer they said, took out all the air lines under the engines. Had to wait for a freight locomotive to pick up the passenger train. What a mess for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

My pickup has a dent in the rear door that was caused by a deer.
The stupid thing ran into the side of the truck after I stopped for another one that was running across the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

A couple decades ago, one of the speedsters on an Endurance Run hit a deer. Amazing the damage it did to the T. Fortunately the driver and mechanic were unhurt. They drove a little slower and finished the run. The car drove a bit squirrelly with a twisted front axle, and buckled wishbone. But finish? They did!
Drive carefully please, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

A few years ago, we had a tour to Yosemite. All our driving was done in daylight. We saw deer in the meadows by the side of the road. If you see them slow down and be prepared for anything, because they will run across the road when they are startled.

The worst time is about dusk or after dark when you don't see them at a distance and only know they are there when they run across the road.

Be careful. We don't want anyone hurt, and we sure don't want to damage any of our T's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

It could be worse, They could be dropping out of trees.

deer in trees

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

This caller has the solution!
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/CI8UPHMzZm8?rel=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

LOL! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

I just finished an estimate in my body shop on a 2014 Buick Enclave that hit a deer. Total dollars damage is $9,597.34 I love deer, they are my favorite animal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:34 am:

I have this crazy idea .... drive like there are deer (or children) about to run out in the
road in front of you at all times. You know, like ... don't drive faster than emergent
situations would allow us to safely avoid a collision ? Yeah, I know, that whole personal
responsibility thing again ... :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:17 am:

Burger, unfortunately personal responsibility has nothing to do with a deer darting out on to the highway into traffic when you are doing the speed limit, which is unofficially around 70+ MPH. So yes, your idea is pretty crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Many years ago we got a new to us Honda Accord, two weeks later we were on our way to Dunsmuir on a Thanksgiving day morning. Driving up I-5 at Cottonwood the freeway crosses the UP RR and the Sacramento river on an arched bridge that comes down into a slight cut with an overpass on it. It's about 11 am, heavy traffic, and I notice a movement on the left bank, clear across the opposing lanes, and as we approach the underpass-ZING a big buck comes out of the bushes and we hit it with the right fender in his hindquarters. Amazingly we don't weave into any of the other lanes and stop in the meridian without any other traffic being involved, the deer making to the other bank.
So expect deer any time anywhere! Who would have expected on down in the valley like that?
Yes, we made it to T-Day dinner, lost a headlight, crumpled fender, and yep, he got a corner of the hood too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:12 am:

A few years back, my BF and I rode our motorcycles from Albq. to Durango, Colo to visit and ride with my brother. My brother warned us about a section of road south of Durango that is notorious for deer/vehicle collisions. Unfortunately, we got a late start and hit this 30 mile section of road just about 10:00 p.m. I was terrified we would run into deer so I beeped my horn the entire stretch of road. Although I saw many, many blood stains on this road, we didn't see any deer. I am sure all the people who lived along this road were not happy hearing some fool beeping her horn for 30 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Must not have been any signs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Yesterday just down the road from home at a main corner about six elk were eating the grass at a four way stop with dix or eight cars stopped taking pictures.
folks were jogging near some with dogs, a friend lost his dog a few weeks past that way!
They have been charging folks in town if you have not seen them they are horse size.
On dark wet evenings they will move some times twenty or so at a time across main roads with out fear of cars on the roads. Every morning I turn on the outside lights half an hour before letting my dogs out. Elk and deer dung is fertilizing my yard. On the positive side the California sea lions that bark all night are across youngs bay in Astoria.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

"Speed Limit" ... let's think about this for a moment.

Speed ... that would be the velocity at which an object moves, right ?

Limit ... and that would be the restricted level of said velocity at which
an object is allowed to move. This can be set by mechanical governors,
or it can be set by rules, that the rule-abiding citizen then heeds.

But let's look a little deeper, shall we ? Yeah ...

Limit is chosen measurement, at which this object in question is allowed
to move. The careful study will note that nothing in that statement of "Speed
Limit" disallows the operator from operating said object from operating it
at velocities LOWER than the top end LIMIT to accommodate for conditions
that might better serve SAFETY interests, as opposed to GETTING THERE
QUICKER interests.

Just because the drones of the world mindless accept LIMIT as the speed
one MUST GO, rather than its actual meaning of the top speed allowed (and
that lower speeds are not restricted) does not mean we people of higher conscious
existence (:-)) have to follow along like lemmings.

Speed kills. Plain and simple. Slow the #@! down ! This is not rocket science.

Those who recklessly exceed a proper speed for the conditions (like wildlife
getting on the road, or ice, or snow, or blind corners) do not get to complain
when they have a mishap. And let's not obfuscate the facts .... operating a
motor vehicle in an area known for special conditions with the arrogance that
our assumed paradigm of "right of way" and "speed limit" overrules nature
and common sense IS just plain reckless. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

"but MILLIONS will be late!" -Homer Simpson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

White-tail deer can run 45+mph. Driving slow and being alert still can't always save you from a deer that is determined to off-herself on the hood of your car. I have had one close-call at about 20mph while driving slowly down a gravel road trying not to get my freshly-washed car dusty. I missed that one by inches.

I hit 3 of them when I was younger. I haven't slowed down at all, but I am definitely more alert while driving since I got into racing, which trained me to look a lot further ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

We have hogs to worry about in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Twice I've been in a car that hit a bear, the second one, I was driving; both adventures in the dark of night. The first one; the bear ran around a truck we were passing, we didn't even see it, just everything went black momentarily and Bang! the car stuttered, the truck kept going, we pulled off and the whole front of the car was a mess, one tire was going "pssss" and the radiator was leaking. We hiked back to where it happened, saw the bear in the highway divider, ran back and finished driving home (one mile) before the tire went flat and the water ran out. My other brother drove back up where the bear was, but it was gone--glad we didn't hang around!
The second one, the bear had already been hit and was just a blob in the road. Some guys were shining a flashlight on it from the side of the road, which did us no good; in fact, their car and presence at the side of the road caused us to take the center lane--where the bear was! We ended up driving over it, and only lost a hubcap. Whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

People who feed wild animals are ultimately responsible for them!! I feel, if I hit a deer that is going to it's daily John Doe feeding and crossing the road to get there...John Doe should be liable...I have seen as many as 30 deer at one feeding station along the highway! I have had black bears come to me and sit like a puppy dog waiting for a handout, because someone has domesticated them! NOT FAIR TO THE WILD ANIMAL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Golly, Bob, you guys have big hogs in Texas. Our northern Calif. pigs are, maybe, the size of medium sized dogs, but they can be pretty aggressive if you mess with their babies. We used to run down the young ones in the vineyard at night and you always had to watch for the mommas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Bob --

That's a hog ? Looks to me like its daddy was a buffalo !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Around here, when I was a kid in the mid 50's, if you saw a deer along the road that was the northern boarder of the local wildlife refuge, you were excited. If you saw 2 or 3, you stopped and watched them. Now, it is nothing to see 25 or 30 in a herd. Needless to say, thanks to our Conservation Dept., they have become an extreme hazard on all of our roads, including I29 that runs through here. The "Powers That Be", have provided for more hunting, but as far as I am concerned, they should have a bounty on them. It is ridiculous that they have let the deer population get so out of control. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:15 am:

Say what you want, but I drive speed limit +10 pretty much everywhere. That is what is tolerated by the locals and GSP for the most part. And it is what is done by most around here. It is the flow of traffic. The ones who make a point of doing the speed limit or below are the minority and quite frankly are more dangerous than the ones doing 10 over. I commute over 70 miles one way, and ain't got time for that BS. Sorry to any of the self righteous, but.......that's the way it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Last summer I was driving the T over to see a friend up here in the Northwoods. Spotted this black thing crossing the road that turned out to be a two year old bear. The critter stopped by the edge of the road, sat down, and kept staring at the car. He looked me over for a good three minutes from about 40 ft away before ambling away into the woods. I think he was trying to figure out what that black, noisy, awkward looking thing with the goofy human in it was doing in his neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:18 am:

While driving his 1904 Ford on last year's HCCA 1&2-cylinder tour in northwestern NJ, Tim Kelly encountered a mature bear. He could neither get around it nor outrun it, and of course a 2-cylinder Model AC has no body enclosure at all. Fortunately, the bear wasn't hungry; it wandered off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Obviously the wildlife is not very law-abiding. In south Atascadero CA there is what I call a nuisance stop light with open fields on one side of the main road and a housing tract on the other side of the road. A resident of this housing tract (with WAY too much free time) started noticing odd behavior by the deer. They would mill around at the intersection and wait for the light to change before crossing the intersection!
This event was filmed several times. If the wildlife in Calif can learn then perhaps there is hope :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Unfortunately Hal, too many think and drive with your attitude. To say that someone like me who drives the speed limit is "self righteous and dangerous" shows an arrogant disregard for the laws that have been set for the safety of all. I have to wonder if you fish in protected waters and hunt out of season too. This me, me, me attitude on the road too often is the cause of the maiming and death of innocent drivers and their passengers. My son is an EMT and a firefighter and often takes out in buckets what they can recover of people driving too fast or those just unfortunate enough to get in the way of someone driving too fast. I'm sorry, but I am tired of being tailgated on wet or icy roads, passed by a driver so much in a hurry they will cross over solid yellow lines and into oncoming traffic, and cut off at off ramps from someone who crosses over two lanes of traffic in front of me because they can't wait. I am a safe driver not only for myself, but all those around me, even you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

You're not self righteous because you drive the speed limit. But one might make a case for it based on what appears to be an attitude of superiority over those that don't see things the way you do.

No, I don't hunt out of season, nor do I fish in protected waters. Do you drive in the left lane of the interstate at the same speed as the guy in the right lane blocking traffic that wants to go faster, in an effort to show everyone what the speed limit is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Gale, Yours is one of the few California areas I found sane as far as point a to point b driving. My daughter lives in lake Port and works part time as a nurse practitioner. The rest of the time as an RN in Santa Rosa. Lake Port is a ice area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Gale Bray - Should probably let this one go, but decided to comment anyway.

Please don't misunderstand,....I do not advocate breaking any laws, however, in the interest of safety, I do believe there are a very few exceptions:

First of all, I believe that if EVERYBODY drove exactly at the speed limit,....that is,.....no faster, and no slower, traffic would move along much more smoothly than is does in so many cases. I also believe that in an area where most traffic routinely travels at a speed somewhat above the speed limit, the safest way is to,....as Hal Davis said in other words,.....GO WITH THE FLOW! Yes, it is not "legal" to exceed the speed limit, but whether you like it or not, there are idiots out there that will take foolish chances and drive in a reckless manner to get around someone who absolutely insists on never, ever, under any circumstances, exceeding the speed limit. It might not be right, or legal, but whether you like it or not Mr. Bray,....as Hal said,..... sometimes, "that's the way it is". To say it another way,.....in the interest of safety, common sense dictates here. As usual, I often get too "wordy", but to put it another way, sometimes, "the powers that be" absolutely insist in holding a speed limit to, for example,....60 mph, when law enforcement, while they certainly cannot openly admit it, they know that traffic exceeding the posted speed limit just simply allows traffic in a much too congested area, or stretch of highway, to move better, especially during the peak hours of traffic. So, the bulk of the traffic exceeds the speed limit, and law enforcement allows it, because they know that if they didn't, the traffic mess would be much worse! However, there are always a few (with an attitude) that will insist on never, ever exceeding the speed limit, no matter how much this "attitude" impedes the flow of traffic. And like it or not, again, right or wrong, that's just,..."the way it is" sometimes,........FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Gale,

Cut yerself and extra slice of raisin pie, Amigo. :-) Personally, I have sent people off the road
quite purposely because their last minute ditch to make the exit or something similar was met
with a large truck in their way. Whoops ! :-)

Harold,

Let's not forget that common sense cuts both ways and slowing down for conditions also applies
to this logic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

So you intentionally run people off the road, but my driving 10 MPH over the limit is dangerous?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Hal, I should not have singled you out as the recipient of my rant. It was unkind of me, and I apologize.

I don't believe I should drive faster than the posted limit just because everyone else is doing it. I may not agree with a posted limit, but it is the law. When I drive in a different state, I obey their laws too. I don't think that obeying the law is righteousness, it is integrity...doing something because it is the right thing to do even if it is inconvenient. In driving the speed limit, I am a slower vehicle so I don't drive in the "fast lane". I don't brake check someone on my tail because that would be unsafe. I try to pull over when I can on two lane roads to let that tailgater go by. Isn't it as shame, though, that I am the one inconvenienced on my route because I drive the speed limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Actually, Hal, I just "allow" those who choose to drive with reckless disregard to find that
that inevitable "random" in their planned path of execution and then sit back to observe the
driving skills of said stunt driver. It often ends up as quite comical, with the time-cutting
maneuver ending up with a resultant LONG delay, very angry passenger/s, expensive repairs,
or a combination of any of the aforementioned.

Failing to yield to those who will place innocents in peril as a matter of their own personal
arrogance is hardly what I would call "intentionally running people off the road". I simply
allow natural forces to come to bear in the scenario created by the stunt driver. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:20 am:

People are funny. Some of them are stupid funny.
Back about 30 years ago, when the Fed imposed a nationwide 55 speed limit, I conducted an experiment.
Fast is a relative term. What is too fast depends on many things, weather conditions, traffic, time of day or night, condition of the road, objects, debris, etc etc etc etc. ANY good driver must be prepared to change his speed (sometimes a lot), and at any moment. I never drive with the fastest crowd. Most of them are idiots. Sometimes I drive above the posted limit because I don't want to go that slow (not my usual condition). Sometimes I drive above the posted limit because traffic flow dictates it would be safer to. Usually, I am within 4 mph of the posted limit.
When the Fed imposed their nationwide 55, most people in Califunny kept their speeds right where they had been before. I slowed down, and did most of my driving in the slow lane. I began to notice some strange behaviors. Because I have that sort of mind, I got curious. For a few years, I varied my driving and made a lot of mental notes about other drivers and their behavior (had to do something! 55 is boring in a modern car).
At 55 mph, in the right hand lane, I SHOULD offend nobody! However, in actuality, it works like the typical "bell curve".
Five mph below, or above 55 mph, nobody was bothered by me. Under 50 mph, or over 60 mph, I was fine. At 51 mph or 59 mph, a few people would be offended by me.
At 52 mph, I was perfectly legal. At 58 mph, I was actually breaking the law. Either way, people (literally hundreds of people over the couple years I did this) would pull up close and try to "push" me to go faster. Many of them would flash their lights, some would blow their horn, usually as they roared around very fast. Remember, I am in the right lane. I have every right to be there. And I in no way made it difficult for them to pass me safely.
At 53 mph or 57 mph, they got crazy. Again, literally hundreds of people would get so close to my rear bumper that I could not see even their hood in my rear-view mirror. They would follow like that for a considerable distance, often flashing their lights which I could only see in my side-view mirror as they weaved wildly from side to side.
At 54, 55, and 56, mph, their driving went beyond crazy. A lot of it could be referred to as felonious. I was driving an old 3/4 Ford pickup, no small car. Dozens of those people very seriously tried to force me off the road. Some of them pulled directly in front of me and slammed on their brakes in a real attempt to cause a collision with me behind. All failed, only because I was too good to get caught that way. More than a few went across two or three lanes then swerved sharply to try and force me into the ditch. Again, I out-drove them and they all missed me (one almost hit an overpass after he lost control of his vehicle when I slammed on my brake and wasn't there to be hit).

I am crazy, I do know that. By the very meaning of normal, I am not. So therefore I AM crazy. After a couple years, sometimes holding a very steady extra slow, sometimes an equally steady a bit fast, and occasionally, a perfect 55 mph for many miles. I formed my opinions, a few hypothesis, even a theory or two. But I was not crazy enough to keep doing it. So I never tested the theories.
From then on, until the Fed lifted the mandated 55 mph. I almost always drove four or five mph over the posted speed limit. Most of the time, any slower is just TOO dangerous.

I could tell more tales of idiots, or even my main societal theory I developed on this. I should have turned this into a doctorate thesis. I thought about it at the time. But college and I never got along that well, and I had little desire to keep going there.
I told you. I am not normal.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Burger,

If I didn't want to be characterized as someone who is guilty of "intentionally running people off the road", I would refrain from making statements like "Personally, I have sent people off the road quite purposely".

Gale,

Things are different in different places. I have no idea how things are where you live, but I live in a rural agricultural area. Our two lane highways are usually not very busy. I leave home well before most people are out of bed. There is little traffic until I get over half way to work. There is a town maybe 2/3 to 3/4 ways to work, that after passing through it, there will inevitably be someone doing 50-55 on the highway (55 mph zone). And inevitably, there will any number of cars lined up behind them. Sometimes a dozen or more. Doing 10 over is commonplace here. It is socially accepted. It is accepted by law enforcement. So much so, that departments have policies forbidding the officers to stop people for doing as little as 10 over. I would even go a step further and speculate that even law makers don't expect people to abide by the LETTER of the law and make the laws accordingly. Additionally, there are laws on the books forbidding the impeding of the flow of traffic. Lucky for those that choose to drive below the speed limit, they are not enforced to any greater extent than the POSTED speed limit. So around here, there is a POSTED speed limit and an unwritten speed limit. Most have a good feel for where that unwritten speed limit is and drive accordingly. I would argue that there is no real danger in doing so and in fact doing significantly less is indeed more dangerous than going with the flow, as we all can testify to from our Model T driving experience. Of course, common sense has to be used. It should go without saying that you shouldn't do 10 over in the pouring rain or fog so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face...but I'll say it anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Sometimes faster is safer, sometimes slower is safer.

Deer (or other things) can dart out in front of you and there is nothing you can do, or could have done to prevent it. When this happens, sometimes your going faster is better, sometimes your going slower is better.

There are few absolutes. Although I would say it is absolutely wrong to try to facilitate an accident in any way. If someone seems in a hurry, they may well have a good reason for it. Perhaps they are rushing somewhere to save someone's life. Let 'em go. You're not the police of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:33 am:

To get back to the original theme, animals are extremely unpredictable. I have twice been hit in the side of my vehicle by dogs and deer, an occurrence that no one could have prepared for nor foreseen coming.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:38 am:

The letter of law is becoming interesting in Oregon with pot now legal. My bride has to put up with workers after a weekend of substance abuse and pick up the loose ends of helps work that's not except able or safely done. You cant fire them.
Left lunch at the watering hole yesterday a sign ten feet from the entry door in an outside smoking shack says no smoking pot on the premises you must go out to the street. Another sign just inside the front door says no alcohol beyond this point. Funny part was there was about ten elk across the street mowing the grass and cars stopped taking pictures. We are going to have to tax folks for money to teach elk how to read and put signs up for tourists taking pictures to stop--- the elk like there pictures taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Tom C, The oldest joke in philosophy is that there are "absolutely NO absolutes".
Being the crazy person I am, I have been laughing at that one since I was very small. The joke aside, you are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Out north of Winimuca there is a two-lane highway that takes you to Boise. In one spot you can see the road-straight as an arrow-going into the valley and over the horizon and maybe one or two cars or trucks. So, while in Nevada, 70 MPH is the speed limit, BUT the road crosses over into Oregon, where the speed limit is 55MPH. I am driving a car with California plates, so I won't drive that section over 59MPH (figuring there is some leeway due to speedometer errors). I dunno where the speed traps are, but I figure with those plates on my car, I am a welcome target!
One does have to use some common sense, or in this case "self-preservation of the pocketbook!"
Story is told of an Officer who pulled over an elderly driver, with three equally elderly passengers in the back seat. "Ma'm, you are driving too slow here for this road." "Officer, I am doing the speed limit--see the sign right there, it says "20." "Ma'm that sign shows the highway's number, not the speed limit; here the speed limit is 55 mph."
"OH! I've been mistaken all along! Thank you!"
The Officer looks in the back seat where the three folks are staring straight ahead and appear to be very shaken and says, "Are your passengers OK, they look a bit ashen."
"Oh, they will be fine in a little bit, Officer, you see we just turned off of, uh, oh yeah, Highway 149!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

A lasting memory of mine when I visited the USA was two near misses with deer. We hired a Winnebago RV in Chicago and drove to Detroit then to Richmond. In the early hours on the morning on the interstate just outside of Detroit we had a near miss with a huge deer and again on the edge of Chicago on return. It was not an issue we were prepared for. We are more used to being on the lookout for Wombats, Kangaroos and Emus!It seems it is a pretty normal hazard across the States.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Some divided US highways in GA will have stretches with 65 mph speed limits, but then for apparently no reason, it will drop to 55. A few miles later, back to 65. I'm thinking it is probably due to varying county regulations, but that is just speculation.

The only place we have 70 mph zones is on the Interstate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

As Gil mentioned above, a friend an I while touring in my little 1904 Ford last summer in New Jersey encountered a Black Bear that had to be 500 to 800 pounds.

We were making our way up a long and steep grade in low gear when a huge (at least to me) Black Bear sauntered out of the woods 40 feet in front of us and stopped in the middle of the road and starred at us. I immediately stopped the car, which was easy to do as gravity for a change was in our favor for such a move.

We made some noise to try to get the bear to move along. The noise produced no discernible affect.

Also as Gil mentioned there was no chance that we could "fly" past the bear given the steep grade. And the road was narrow enough that we couldn't easily turn around.

While we were waiting for the bear to move along (hopefully) my friend turned to me and pointed out that he didn't need to outrun the bear; all he had to do was outrun me!

Fortunately after a minute or two (which seemed like a really long time at the time) the bear decided to move along across the road and we proceeded without incident. Neither of us, however, had the presence of mind to grab a camera, as we were too preoccupied with keeping our eyes on the bear (not that doing so afforded us any protection).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

ROFLMAO!
Timothy K, That was hilarious! When I had my close encounter with a bear on a very dark stormy night in the middle of nowhere, at least I had some comfort in the Ch@^& S10 pickup I was driving at the time.
Thanks for the laugh, Tim.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

You have to be prepared for ANYTHING !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6TaqM8BkA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration