Old Photo - Old Meets New

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Old Meets New
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Thanks for posting. I'm going to guess Model R, because the tires look to me like 30 inch, and the bale (bail) handled sidelamps may indicate earlier rather than later (1907 for R) Ford. However, it may be a Model S runabout (28 in wheels). If we could see the trunk we would know (R, rounded, S pointed like Model N).

We've seen this pic posted in the past. It also looks like the waterpump is leaking (pump located in the front of the radiator).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:31 am:

The water pump is just marking a spot so the oil knows where to drip as he starts up again! Great photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:32 am:

I see that the Tudor has a Ruxtell but no spare tire. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:33 am:

For a 20 year old car, it looks to be in very good condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

A few things noted in this photo. The '25 license plate on the tudor. Must have been a fairly early production "improved Ford". Also, apparently Ford was still supplying the spare rim, but no tire, presuming the tudor is a "new" car. I also like the stop light on the tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

William
I agree. Notice the Tudor has the earliest style "Improved Ford" headlamp mountings.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Note also the driver's side step plate. They were going for all the accessories! Wonder if she has added bud vases?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

That photo is from the Henry Ford. A high resolution version is on the Henry Ford website.

There are people selling all the Henry Ford images on eBay. Pretty sad situation, when you can get them for free if you know where to look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I am leaning towards calling the car on the left as a Heinze 57 variety Model R or S. Here is why:

I do not think the sidelights are original to the car. Not only are they bail handled, the passenger side light is missing its door and lense. Sidelights are very easy to change. It takes about 10 minutes with a 5/16 open end wrench to change one.

The really interesting thing is the tires. These tires are not clinchers, but instead are held on with 11 or 12 bolts. They were used on the very first Model Ns, but had been pretty much replaced by 28x3 clinchers before the Model R was introduced. The tire change came at about the same time the price was raised from $500 to $600.

The little bulb horn mounted on the steering column is usually found only on Model Ns. Rs and S roadsters usually used a double or triple twist horn mounted on the outside of the floor board riser on the driver's side. This is where horns were typically mounted on S Roadsters as well.

Another interesting think is that you can barely see the pin striping on the front axle. Clearly the pinstripe is not black, otherwise it would be invisible.

The radiator and hood are both the later part of 1907 or 1908 style. The door on the side of the hood that provides access to the oiler is clearly visible.

This car has ready been marking its spot. Under the engine you can see little puddles of oil. Model NRS cars basically used a total loss oiling system. I have to take diapers along whenever the Model N is going on display.

However, without more pictures, I cannot say if this is a Model R or S runabout, or a 1907 or 1908 car.

I have always thought that this was a FMC publicity photo. The Tudor sedan is clearly new.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Note that both cars have the same 1925 Washington license #26891 plate but each plate has been altered:

Early Ford: plate #26891 although it looks like an attempt was made to cover up the "1."

Also note that "1906" or "1908" has been painted under the "WN." That is covering the "X-25" for a passenger vehicle.

New Ford: also #26891 although both the "2" and "6" have been altered to look like an "8." The altered plate becomes 88891.

It also looks like "25" under the "WN" has also been re-painted so it will stand out better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

The 26 has an accessory stoplight attached to the tail light.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration