**1911-1914 Muffler Exhaust System**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: **1911-1914 Muffler Exhaust System**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Let me know if you see anything wrong...and or if you want me to add those bloody extra bolts and nuts on the front bracket.

I should think that tapered pipe should give the car a different sound...does anybody know if it does? Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

This is 1911 - 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:00 am:

Really?? You sure? Ok, I'll make that change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Royce is right. If I'm not mistaken, '14 didn't have the "turn down" tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Royce is right. If I'm not mistaken, the '14 muffler didn't have the "turn down" tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Darn good illustration Martin, although I think the bend in the tailpipe is a little severe! Again, Royce is correct on the dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

How is the "tailpipe" held/secured in the end of the muffler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

The tailpipe sticks inside the casting about 1/2" and the end is just bent out on one or two sides to keep it in place, there is a cast in stop to set the distance, and two places opposite each other where it's easy to put a punch or chisel against the pipe to spread it out--doesn't take much to lock it in place, then rust takes over! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Larry, thanks, I figured Royce should know (since he's into these early cars), so I made the change immediately.

The bend is not as severe as it looks in this projection. You have to remember you're looking at from above and to the left of the object (and that's it's a 2D image, don't have a lot of choices as to how to show depth :-)), things look a might distorted when you look at them that way...try it, you'll see, circles look like ovals and smallish bends look a little more drastic. This is how I see anything every time I look at any pictures I'm sent, I start with the best projection angle (whichever one I decide upon) and then picture the assembly layout to see if it'll show what needs showing, then draw what I'm seeing. The first part of all this is in my head, the drawing part (the part you get to see) is when it becomes real.

The reasons the angles of any particular assembly doesn't change. Is that if you go back and look at every one of the mufflers I've drawn, you can trace the changes as they occurred to that assembly. It's no longer is just one picture of a muffler it's now a single piece in the progression of change in the course of the Model T production run.
This is what I see all the time, I get to see how the part started and where it ends up, hopefully you guys will too. I may miss a few changes here and there but if you point them out as to where and what I've missed, I'll make a drawing for it and hopefully together we'll make a contiguous progression for any of it's assemblies and sub-assemblies.

The Model T production process and the progressive changes and the thinking that went into them is fascinating...and drawing the whole darn thing is a lot of fun too. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration