Old Photo - Model T Mining Track Railcar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Mining Track Railcar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

This photo was taken at Belmont on Boreas Pass along the Colorado & Southern high
line to Leadville between Como and Breckenridge. Car is heading eastbound (returning to
Como).

L to R: Ray Woolwine, Mildred Dungan, and Mary Shields. Early summer, 1938. By Sept.
the entire line from Leadville to Platte Canyon would be torn up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Looks like narrow-gauge tracks, somewhere in Colorado maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Well, I see dial up strikes again, but my guess was right. Shame the line was taken out, looks pretty scenic. But then I hate to see any rail line taken up! Sadly to say, I have now ridden on at least three railroads that are no longer existent, back when I had a Fairmont Railcar (speeder). Actually I still have one, but no way to transport it & you have to belong to a club that gets permission to run on various Railroads & my remaining car is a "belt drive" one-cylinder job, harder to find groups willing to run with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Burger,
Good chance those Ladies are still alive
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Great photo! I wonder what they do with the steering wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

David, my flat bed trailer has a winch on it. You can winch the speeder on and winch it off whenever you want to transport the beast... But I want a ride... If you are sure the track is clear. Is your speeder narrow gauge? If it is the right size I may be able to get permission for you to run on what is left of the NCNGRR right of way.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

John,
It's just a convenient place to put your hands while working the throttle, plus just a steering column sticking up is a little intimidating!
Terry, sorry, it's Standard Gauge. Used to have 4 miles here to run on, but the city took it out for scrap--last part of the 4th oldest railroad in California. So, is the track still in place behind Smitty's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

I really enjoy that photo, thanks for sharing!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

The Model T speeder was well photographed during it's brief time of free run over the abandoned C&S narrow gauge system.
It was built by Clair and Gene Dungan and their friend John Riedesel at the Stone Garage in Como in the spring of 1937 and
used until the rails were pulled up during the summer/fall of 1938. It was then converted back to being roadworthy and sold
to Jack McCoy and Keith Schnurbush for $15 in 1939 and used to "harvest" ties from the abandoned railroad bed, for which
they were paid 1˘ per tie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 12:52 am:

Ah, that explains this "unofficial-looking" group riding the rails. Note how good the trackwork is; looks like mainline alignment. Being a train nut, maybe I'm the only one here looking at that!
I kept the steering wheel on the 23 at Portola because it gives the driver something to hang onto, and make working the spark and throttle easier, but someone else thought it wasn't needed, so there's none now.
Before we put the rail wheels on the 23, we drove it around Tom Sharpsteen's orchards to "test it out" --at least that's what Tom told me, but now I think it was to get me to realize how much fun driving a Model T is. Worked, 'cause it led me to buying my first T! My Model A friends think I've backslid.

You want this boxcar where??

23 looking kinda small around all these big RR cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 01:47 am:

Yes, the highline was ultimately the C&S mainline to Leadville, and thusly maintained. Originally, the DSP&P
mainline headed SW from Como across the South Park, crossing Trout Creek Pass and down to Buena Vista
on the Arkansas River, where a joint operating agreement with the D&RG gave them access to Leadville. This
agreement was broken in 1884, but not before the Boreas Pass line to Breckenridge is extended up the Ten Mile
Canġn to cross yet another 11,000+ foot pass at Climax and drop down to Leadville on their own rails.

With the abandonment of the "mainline" to the Gunnison district in the fall of 1910, Leadville became the RR's
primary focus and the Breckenridge "branch", extended to Leadville years earlier, becomes the de facto "mainline"
for their end-of-track source of revenue traffic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration