Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Sheldon, Iowa

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Sheldon, Iowa
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:00 am:

That's my home town. Scene is looking east on 9th street. The 5 and 10 used to be the building on the right corner and the Anderson drug store was directly across the street to the north. Back in the early 60's Bernice Geiger embezeled over 2 million dollars from the back in Sheldon. That building is the second one on the right with the flag pole on top. When in high school we used to run down town and eat at a hamburger stand that was nothing more than a small trailer tucked in between the bank and the 5 and 10. I don't ever remember the pole in the center of the intersection, it was stop signs then and they have a light there now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Looks like a neat place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

looks like Iowa farmers had the bucks by all the cars on the street....Just kidding!!!
Great picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

My grandfather had a shop in the residential area one block north and 5 east of this corner. He and my uncle operated the shop that did general repairs. My grandfather died in 1946 8 months before I was born but my uncle ran the shop into the early 60's and then moved 1 block north of this corner in this picture. I remember "helping" my uncle in the shop when I was little especially when he needed to bleed the brakes on a car. He did almost everything that was needed to repair cars back in those days. When I got into high school I worked for him for 3 summers in the new SKELLY station. We sold gas, did general repairs, sharpened lawn mowers, did starters and generators, radiator work and balanced tires etc. As I look back on those times it brings many good memories back to me. Especially the few times after work when we would harrass each other and then it usually ended in a water fight. Thanks for the memories Uncle Vince!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Most of the buildings survive today. The drug store was on the left. The white lines under each letter were decoration on the building corner. Neat photo.

Why did they have to move the pole in the middle of the street? Just can't leave nothing alone.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Ken, ... we have reckless and alcohol/dope impaired people to think about !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

As long as you mention things in the way. Our little town of Adams puts these great big flower pots on the corners of intersections , and in the winter they stick Christmas trees in them. So I stopped at City Hall and asked who was responsible for doing that? A man had just walked in and the city clerk said to talk to him, his wife is president of the Garden Club. So I went over to him and said to tell your wife thanks for doing that because it is definitely going to help my Body Shop business.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration