Don't want to break it...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Don't want to break it...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:45 am:

All of my attempts to remove the front wheels from the spindles have failed. I've heated the hubs and whacked the spindle with a hammer and punch to no avail. What can I do without causing a lot of damage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Tim,

The outside bearing screw on the spindles the right spindle have left tread and the left spindle have right tread in the bearing.

Maybe this helps
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Have you tried screwing the outer race off? One side has left hand threads the other right hand threads. If you don't have a copy I suggest getting a repair manual for the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Assume you have removed the spindle nut, washer, and outer bearing.

All that would hold the hub on the wheel would be the inner bearing. There should be a dust cap over it, so try to use a wood block and hold it against the dust cap, around the spindle flange, and hit the block, several places around the perimeter of the dust cap.

That should drive the bearing too, and that should force the hub off the spindle shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:55 am:

How are you trying to remove the wheel? By removing the six bolts holding the wheel to the hub? By removing the hubcap and the spindle nut? By removing the hubcap, spindle nut, and outer wheel bearing? Remember the outer wheel bearing is screwed onto the spindle and must be removed before removing the hub and wheel assembly.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

I do have the repair manual (many in fact). It says to "run off the outer bearing". Does this mean the outer bearing unscrews from the spindle? Thanks for the help...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Yes - it does Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

The bearings are threaded in the direction so that they loosen when the car moves forward. So, the passenger side bearing has LH threads and the driver side bearing has RH threads. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Feel like an idiot now- it's quite obvious that the outer bearings are threaded on (as you all know). Thanks guys for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Tim,

Welcome to "The Club".....

Many of us have had bad moments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

I am happy this forum can help with these things. It isn't much fun when we overlook the obvious but we all do it from time to time.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration