Roadster top/runabout top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roadster top/runabout top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Are there pictures of a top without the covering. I need to know how the frame and top bows should look for a 1913/14. I may have to construct some missing parts. Thanks, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Please don't tell me what is wrong with this car-There are some issues- help me fix it one piece at a time. It runs. Any help with the top13-14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

Someone built up a body using the back seat from an early touring. Not enough detail to determine if it came from a Model T.

If you provide some close ups of the top, we can better determine what you have, an automobile roadster top or something someone built up from parts. To me, it doesn't look like you have Ford top bows from any year. Or, perhaps the bows are assembled incorrectly on the car. If it is a complete roadster top from a non-Ford, with the right covering it could probably be put up correctly and look nice and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 12:33 am:

John, that is definitely a different-looking body, very creative actually; But the top that Erik posted looks different from the one you posted. The one you posted looks like it might work out, the one Erik posted would need major rework of the bows to be useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 12:56 am:

Hi John,

First, you will help yourself greatly if you correctly erect the front top bow. Although you have put up your top the front bow end is still in the down, or stowed, position. You need to remove the ends and move them up to the lugs near the upper portion of the top sockets, near the bow.

Note the position of the front bow on this touring car; yes, a newer car but still a two man top, same thing. Hope this helps, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:46 am:

Hi Erik, Thanks Both pictures are of the same car Your picture is clearer than mine . It is correct that some creative person constructed the body from parts available however the bows are in different positions in each photo. I am thinking I can shorten or lower the centre bow and tilt the rear bow back more.13}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:29 am:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:38 am:

pic3

pic4

pic5

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/roadster_top.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Since your body was mocked up, the geometry is not the same as a factory runabout body so a factory top may or may not fit correctly.

It appears that you have remnants of an early roadster top, but it is not from a Ford.

One of the bows appears to be homemade from a piece of flat strap iron.

Based on the photos, I would remove the piece of strap and make a much longer bow. It appears the second bow has an upper set of eyelets. A longer first bow could then be fastened to the upper eyelets of the second bow. The first bow would then extend over the windshield.

I would have to see much closer pictures of the top without the fabric or see it in person to truly see what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Check your bows against the dimensions in the above diagram. It could be you have the correct bows, but they my be assembled in the wrong order and not attached at the correct attachment points for that particular bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Thanks Wayne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration