Just got a new windshield assembly. It includes 4 aluminum tube like fittings with threaded holes for the hinge assembly to bolt two. 2 are longer than the other two. The short ones insert into the brass frame tubes ok, but the longer ones hit a stop about 1/2 way in leaving about 1/2 the fitting sticking out. What am I doing wrong and how do I get the longer ones in?
Thanks for any help
Tried reversing, same issue. One frame is taller than the other, but the long fitting is still too long no matter which frame is used. I tried tapping it in with a wood mallt, still no go. I don't want to force it, too dam expensive!
Here's a photo I found on line showing all the parts. The parts in question are the 4 silver ones belor the brass channels
Those windshield kits leave a lot to be desired. I have many hours in making mine more correct along with a lot of research.
I think I wound up cutting those filler blocks to fit. Also, they don't fit correctly. They are too loose. I felt like experimenting, so I vacuum filled my frame halves with epoxy and set the filler blocks with the hinge screws and cap screws in place. They are such a loose fit that if you torque down the blocks with the hinge screws and then go to install the caps later, the cap screw hole will be way out of place. If you install everything loose and then torque down, everything binds up in a mess.
Those duckbill caps aren't correct, either. That's an adaptation of what was used on the later steel frames. It should be a flat plate that just fits inside the tube and the inside ends of the frame should be machined out to accept the channels that retain the glass so the two halves of the frame butt up clean and tight.
I'll try to resize some photos and attach them here in a bit.
Attached are photos from my project. Most are self-explanatory. Don't waste your time with the Vintique hinges. I wish I had that $70 bucks back. Try to find an original set. The legs don't have enough offset and when you go to fold the windshield and the hinge kicks over the detent, it crashes on the frame, especially if you use the caps as-supplied. Note where the filler blocks are floating in the tube. In that photo they are set in epoxy after everything is properly aligned. That shows how inaccurately they are made. There is about 3/32" between it and the outside of the tube. If pulled that far to the outside, the cap screw hole will be out of position by that much.
Thanks for the info and for taking the time to post all thr photos. One of my thoughts was to cut the filler blocks to fit, but I didn't want to do it until I knew someone else had. I do have the vintques hinge set, so I'll be looking for an original set.
Again thanks for your input