1915 paint finish

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1915 paint finish
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Just wondering how well finished my 15 brass roadster paint looked like in 15...I have been told I could buff it to a higher shine etc...I'm thinking more of a rattle can look would be closer to the original paint job...I don't want it to look like a 2016 paint job. I like to give rides and let people sit in it for pictures etc...nothing a rattle can can't fix. Any better would take the fun out of owning it if I couldn't share with others

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Here's your answer. Better put away the rattle can and get out the buffer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Greg... Not so fast. Look at these factory photo's. The reflection in the paint looks very deep. They had much more shine than many folks believe. paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I wonder if the 26-27 models were shinny like the 15 pictured above. I hardly ever see a T at a show in this area. The books are all black and white so it's hard tell without seeing a original car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Here are some more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

wow I had no idea...was that the norm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

The other side of that coin however is that the shine didn't last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Mom and I on the way to her 90th Birthday last summer

This is how it looks now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

giving Mom a ride to her 90th birthday party

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

There are more original period 1915 photos here than anywhere else on the internet. Click here:

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/918-The-1915-Model-T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Royce.. The photo of the touring car rolled upside down in the ditch is interesting. If it is all original, it shows that the 12 rivet rear axle assembly was used as late as the point where the carriage bolt started to appear in the side of the body. My car has the 12 rivet also, but no carriage bolt. It also has 1914 rear quarter panels. The bead does not follow the fender curve beyond horizontal... it is correct for a 14 fender. In any event, those photo's show some great details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Greg, I'd say your car looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

I think it depends on what comes out of your rattle can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

James,

The 12 rivet rear ends were likely used through the end of february 1915. Perhaps later at branch assembly plants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Notice the color of the wheels on the Center Door, it's much different that of the rest of the body. Hard to say for sure but they could be red.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

The wheels do look different, but so do the headlight rims. Almost certainly not red, which looks black on orthographic film of the Model T era. If they're anything other than black, it was done by a dealer and not the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

wow ! whatever your'e doing keep doing it . that is a beautiful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Greg I agree with Michael...nothing wrong with that finish, at least not in the picture. I realize often they don't look quite as nice "up close and personal" as in a picture, but I suspect yours does. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration