Engine pan brace accessory question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine pan brace accessory question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

I have seen a few of these for sale. I understand the basic principle of using these but are they necessary for today's roads?
Back when the T would be bouncing all over the place this would defiantly take away the strain on the mounts.
So if you have/had one, what say you?
Do they help in keeping things moving (without the strain) along much longer. Or are they just another item to make your T weigh more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:58 am:

I use these on my T's. They help by giving better support to the engine crankcase.

All the Ford parts are also used, both bolts and wood block at the frame mounts. With the belly strap, weight and torque thrust is more limited by the grip of the belly strap under the crankcase, and the support rods to the sides of the frame.

Remember, the T '3-point' suspension is fine for the give needed to allow frame twist on dips or culverts, drive way cuts and other obstructions to a flat road. The belly straps don't prevent that flex, but do add bit more support to keep the drive train in-line. All forward action underway, shifting to high, etc. throws twist to the engine, and all braking too.....causes twist to the engine.

Belly straps are good :-)

What can happen without one :-(

And you can get them new! Add one, your T will thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:25 am:

I'm with Dan. I think it's a worth while accessory. Every time you take your T out for a drive your chumming for metal fatigue.

The new repro support being offered is a copy of the best designed one made in the past for Lizzie.

As Old Ben had to say (Which was before the invention of the prophylactic.) :-)

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:33 am:

That is a copy of the old Pioneer Support. My only question is the location of the nuts. Both should be on the topside, the adjustment being the bottom nut with the other a locking nut, old mechanic told me this years ago. Comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Yes they will break on to days roads. Most "T's" lived part of there lives on roads that were not so good and/or had the motor mounts improperly installed.
When mine broke I remember the engine being very smooth until realized the pedals were not in the correct position and moving around.
I removed the engine, had the ear welded back on and fabricated a support similar to the one shown. This was a number of years ago.
For the car I now use on tours, I carry one of the old accessory brackets that mounts in place of the broken ear and attaches to the oil pan bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Yes they will break on to days roads. Most "T's" lived part of there lives on roads that were not so good and/or had the motor mounts improperly installed.
When mine broke I remember the engine being very smooth until realized the pedals were not in the correct position and moving around.
I removed the engine, had the ear welded back on and fabricated a support similar to the one shown. This was a number of years ago.
For the car I now use on tours, I carry one of the old accessory brackets that mounts in place of the broken ear and attaches to the oil pan bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:01 am:

the link to the engine pan support shown here from a past Accessory Of The Day Post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/458833.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:26 am:

where can we get them?
john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Thanks for the info guys!

Going to put this item on the short list.

Is there a link or phone number where one can purchase these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

is location optional,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

I locked the nuts on mine like the bottom picture if that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I did mine like the upper picture so that the hanger wouldn't slowly chew its way into the threaded rod.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Appears the Pioneer was made in two styles, the early one had one arm. Sales adv shows a nut above and below.

Later the design became the more seen version, with two finger arm, the adv shows perhaps the nuts stacked, can't really tell from the photo angle.

Stacking the nuts on top is same as a jam nut, would work. But, the belly strap threaded shaft can ride up and down, you don't want that.

Easy for install to place the first nut below the arm real loose, fit arm, then place 2nd nut above. Then draw down on the upper nut, that pulls the strap against the belly of the pan, do both sides evenly at the same time.

Finally draw up the lower nut against the arm to lock. Both nuts locked on the arm. They won't move.

The plus side is the threaded arm of the strap is now locked, can't slide in the arm hole and wreck the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Dan, how much is the threaded shaft going to ride up and down? What would it matter since the threads
might as well be smooth rod since they don,t come into play? There is going to be some wear at the bracket hole regardless. The bad Pioneers that I seen were worn in this spot making it difficult to remove the lower nut under the bracket. I can't see advantage in this support being that rigid. Thanks for your input on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Warren, You echo my exact thoughts on the matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Couple T I only used the long pan bolt mounted from the top with a radiator spring this allowed a little flex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

The picture from Dan was at hershey last year, Tim morsher had me show them for sale, if you want one contact him, thanks joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Bump for Robert Blanchard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

All these year and I never understood what "bump" meant... now I know:

I thought it meant something like fist bump/high five... guess not

When you "bump" you send the message back up to the top on the forum... learn something new every day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

The previous user of my truss had both nuts on the same side of the rod. The result after many years was the wear that is (admittedly poorly) shown in the picture below.

On my car, I chose to install nuts on both sides of each arm to prevent the relative motion that can cause such wear. :-)

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration