1915 Fan Shaft Assembly. I tried the book.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1915 Fan Shaft Assembly. I tried the book.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Lot a lot of detail in the manual. Putting a 1915 fan assembly on a 26/27 engine to run with a brass radiator on my WWI Light Patrol Car. So, the parts I took off were 26/27 and I've got my hands on some used 1915 fan parts.
Curved bracket, bolt with cotter pin, adjusting bolt and nut, fan blade with pully, blades checked for cracks and a fan shaft.

When I put everything on the car, two minor issues. 1. I can't believe there is no cotter pin hole or locking nut on the end of the shaft after it threads through the fan bracket. And, 2. when I snug up the shaft and turn the blades by hand, they torque up the fan so that it stops turning. Must be some sort of bushings or washers or something that I am missing.

Looked through the vendors photos and looks like I have the correct shaft. Any guideance greatly appreciated.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:27 am:

PS

Does a 25" fan belt length sound about right for this set up?

Going back and playing with it this morning, it seems like a lock nut on the rear of this shaft or an oil fitting that acts as a lock nut tightened just loose enough to allow the fan and pully to turn on the shaft seems like a solution. Just don't know if it's the correct one.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:51 am:

The early cars have a grease fitting screwed on the back of the fan shaft. It acts as a lock nut too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

TO THE BANK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I hope you changed the front timing gear cover too. There is a tab on it for the adjusting bolt to butt up to. If you are binding up the fan shaft, back it off until it turns, and lock it with the grease cup. Easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

I am running a large pulley on the crank and an early, brass hub (small pulley) on the fan. Good luck finding a standard belt to fit that! I'm running an idler and a longer cog belt because that was the shortest belt I could find for that combo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 07:14 am:

I've got the correct timing cover, it was a late 25 casting on the block, so it came with the adjusting bolt and I've ordered on along with a 25" fan belt. I'm leaving the large pully on and when I adjust the parts and ran a string around the pulllys and measured, it was 25" so I've ordered on of those as well. Got my fingers crossed.

Wow, $19 for one brass grease fitting for that fan shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 08:45 am:

The original '12 - 16 grease fitting had a steel base with an aluminum dope cup. Another reproduction made incorrectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:36 am:

The base for the grease cup on both of my '13s are brass, and are slightly longer than the steel ones. The grease cup is also brass with that neat old time knurl.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration