What would you do - Exhaust Valve Clearance?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What would you do - Exhaust Valve Clearance?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

My valve covers have been weeping slightly on my rebuilt 16 engine so today I removed them to reseal. While they were off I decided to check valve clearance to see if anything is amiss on my newly rebuilt engine. All checked fine except the last valve (exhaust) of #4, which checked at .009"/.010" clearance. Of course it's the hardest to get too.

Should I leave it or loosen it up slightly? All other exhaust valves check at .012".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I'd agonize over it, I'd say the hell with it, I'd think some more, I'd get P O'd, I'd let the damn thing sit for a while, then I'd rationalize that it's running OK - the hell with it, then I'd fix it because it wouldn't stop bugging me until I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

If it were set to piston travel it'll be just fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

If you have adjustable lifters, then just adjust it - it's easy. Not much movement of the bolt needed. You can remove the carb and its stove pipe if it makes it easier to get access?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I double checked clearance (turning the engine over several times) and now the .010" feeler goes easily while the .011" feeler has drag. All the other exhaust valves are at .012".

Going to call it good and button her back up, this on a reground cam by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

?012 intake and .014 exhaust works real good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Depends on your camshaft. With a new or newly ground camshaft the valves can be set by the clearance method and all exhaust valves should be the same clearance. If you have adjustable lifters, you can easily adjust them. Be sure to do it at the point where the cam lobe is pointing straight down, "heel of cam"

If however you have an older camshaft and the valves were set by the piston height method, Each valve will be set to open or close at the exact same piston position. In that case, altering the clearance will also change the piston position where the valve opens and closes. You probably won't have a problem with .011 clearance, but it could cause a burnt valve if the engine runs hot. Usually, when using the piston height system the
valve clearances will vary from valve to valve and are usually looser than they would be if set by the clearance method.

So the choice is yours to make. If you know who rebuilt your engine, you could ask them what method of valve adjustment was made, and ask their recommended clearance.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration