Giant Power head & domed high compression Pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Giant Power head & domed high compression Pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Forum can the giant power head be used in combination with domed Aluminium high compression Pistons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

From what I remember the Giant Power Head is one heavy beast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

John -- No, it cannot. I had mine milled 1/8" and had to relieve a couple of spots when using flat-top pistons. Definitely no room for domed ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

We milled a head 1/8 inch and opened the water jacket. Make sure the head hasn't been milled before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Thanks for the responses, I suppose the next question then would be,if you had a choice between the Giant Power head or Domed Pistons which would you choose? Feedback please.

(Message edited by Jtt3 on February 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:21 am:

John,
Use the Giant head. The high dome pistons increase the compression ratio but create a combustion chamber that is so inefficient that it almost negates the power gain. My thoughts, opinions will vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 02:06 am:

I have done Pistons with a stock "low" head in my '13. Also 280 cam, early intake , Stromberg OF, Trufire ignition. The whole combination works very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:09 am:

I've driven thousands of miles with each of these combinations: Giant Power head, Reeder head, Z head, and stock head milled 1/8" with domed pistons. I can't tell any difference between the performance of any of those. But the Giant Power head is the clear winner in the "cool factor" competition. :-)

gp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:13 am:

What head did Louis Chevrolet manufacture for the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I bought a Giant power head, which I still have, and couldn't use it because it was made for a car with big valves. So, it sits on the shelf!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Charlie B, the Chevrolet Brothers made "Frontenac" OHV heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Larry
Your comment about the problem associated with "big valves" makes me curious. Can you explain further please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

A high domed piston creates a problem when the exhaust valve opens because the gasses are all around the piston and must change direction in order to get out of the combustion chamber.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration