Magnet bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magnet bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken lemon on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

I am in the process of building up a replacement magneto for my 1915 Model T. The used replacement bolts I received from Lang's are not drilled for safety wire. My original bolts are drilled and wired. My "T" is a Canadian "T". Is this something that is peculiar to the Canadian "T" or were my bolts drilled after the car left the factory. In any event, do I need the safety wore. It would sure make a mess if they came loose and you can't check without pulling the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

I'd get the right ones. Think of the mess if one came loose or fell out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

The vendors don't always sell the correct parts! It's up to the buyer to know what is correct for his own car! However, the later T's didn't use safety wire. I'm not sure when the change was made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

If these are the large bolts that hold the magnets, the safety wire was discontinued in the early 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken lemon on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Other that the missing hole for safety wire, the bolts are identical. I'm considering having them drilled. I don't feel comfortable putting them in without safety wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Maybe Ford quit the safety wire in 1922, in that case there were 9 million Model T's made without safety wire on the large magneto bolts. Still few (anybody?)have heard of any case where any of those bolts failed or loosened- it's always the outer brass bolts that fails if any. So with washers in place and properly tightened you shouldn't need to worry. For peace of mind you can use some high temp loctite - (though it may turn out to be a minor problem if you or someone else needs to remove them in the future)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:50 am:

I don't care for the lack of wire either, even if Ford did it. It should take less than an hour at the drill press to fix that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 01:59 am:

I come across a late one once that was some ones easy fix, a smack with a chisel to dint the washer into the V of the magnet and a tack of weld on the bolt to the washer, they were going NO where!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 04:31 am:

Ford didn't build 9 millions faulty magnetos :-)

Same issue with the pan bolts - a Mr Martin and Joe Galamb studied the matter and introduced lock washers, then no more need for cotter pins there after december 1924, 4 million engines built without cotter pins on the pan bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:38 am:

Yabut, the pan doesn't weight 50 pounds and flail 20 pounds of magnets through oil while spinning at ~1500rpm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Did the pan bolts go in like the previous cars, going in from the bottom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Ken, there are multiple other problem areas on the T where there are real reasons to improve the std Ford solutions like two piece valves, babbitt thrusts etc, but no need to change where the std solution has proved to work satisfactory up until these latter days :-)

Eric - They all go in from the bottom except for the one just below the timer, it's best to mount it from the top so it won't risk to ground one of the wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:00 am:

You could use serrated (aka ribbed) lock washers.
Serrated lock washer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken lemon on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I thank everyone for the attention my post has generated. I have discovered that the parts company was aware of the safety wire hole. They told me that they believed that Ford discontinued the safety wire on these bolts in the early to mid 20's when most of the cars were equipped with a starter ring gear. Since the bolts are reconditioned, they do have bolts with holes for safety wire and have shipped them. It makes me wonder if there might have been some inconspicuous difference in the washers between those with and without safety wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken lemon on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

I might add that I believe in keeping the machine as close to factory original as possible. I would not be adding a starter except for age and health reasons. I am keeping all the original parts so it can be converted back at any time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Roger - Thanks for the heads up on the crankcase bolts and especially the one under the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 05:27 am:

Ken - Can't see that the inner magnet bolts would have anything at all to to with whether there is a starter ring gear on the flywheel or not?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration