Simmons Carb. Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Simmons Carb. Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

I bought a Simmons carb this weekend from a name model A dealer who had a trailer at a flea market. The carb. appeared to be newly rebuilt, the dealer removed the bowl so I could see the in side. He gave me the name of the rebuilder which I recognized.
I paid the asking price which seemed fair.
BUT when I got back to where we are staying in Florida and looked up Simmons on this form I found there is supposed to be a flap in the throat of the carb. I can see where where it goes but it's not there.
Is this a useable carburetor without the flap?
Are the flaps available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

It will be very hard to start, and it won't idle without the flapper. I have one missing it too. Ran great as long as you were moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

If you are creative enough, you could probably make the flapper for it. I have one, and would consider making the part if I need to (it is a LO-ONG story, but think I may need to make one, figured it out about 40 years ago). One could be made out of brass and J B Weld, or brass and solder.
The flapper does NEED to be properly balance for it to work properly. It NEEDS to be fairly (but not critically) precise. If you can borrow a flapper from someone that has one, it should be fairly easy to make.
I think I finally got all my pieces within six feet of each other. Some day I need to dig it out and try to fix mine.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Would anyone have a picture of the missing flap.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Someone made a run of replacement flaps. Anyone remember who it was? I rebuilt one several years ago with no flap. It did not run right at all until I found another one for parts that had the flap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/299071.html?1341807827

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration