Fronty heads up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fronty heads up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Saw this and he has a Waukesha too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-OVERHEAD-VALVE-RACING-HEAD-1917-27-Very-Rar e-/252301997773?hash=item3abe5ef6cd:g:MbYAAOSwzgRW0h6W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

WOW. "I NEED THAT" If I shout loud enough, can I have it ... please please :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I found the reserve. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I wonder whose shelf it'll end up on until the next estate sale, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

WOW again... from .99 cents to $1,025 in less than 4 hours......... still a good buy ... I hope you get it Derek .... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

I'm already outbid, but I'll bid again near the end if it doesn't go crazy high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

5 hours in, $1,560 and seven different bidders. This could get interesting ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:31 am:

Would be Interesting to know the model, would be T (touring), S (speedster), or R (racing). Stamped on the top of the head with the serial number. Difference would be the compression ratio, as far as I know. Could be wrong, I read a lot but have never owned a Fronty. Others will know more. A premier speed part. Good luck Derek!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:18 am:

This is a single carb style so it is probably a T or S model. The model R had 2 carbs. I believe that is correct, from my little research I have done on Fronty heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Fronty R was single port just like the T and S but with highest compression of those 3 versions.

Fronty S-R was the 2-port and also were dual-plug, and were introduced a couple years later in 1923.

(according to page 105 in "Model T Ford in Speed & Sport")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

If I won the bid it would be left on the shelf. It would get cleaned, checked for cracks, new valves and put to use. I've asked him to check for a serial number and to let me know the letter designation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

It's most likely a T or S with that exhaust manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

He added a note on the posting - it's a T with serial # T3786T I'm a bit less interested now as it is the same as I have on my speedster today. With an A crank and high top pistons it is a nice performer but bumping up to an S or R would have been interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Were the T, S, and R cast differently, or all the same casting with more milled off the higher-compression versions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

I believe that the castings for all 3 were the same. They may have changed in detail over time but not between model. Difference was in the machining. Am under the impression that the compression difference was done by how deeply the chamber was cut into the casting not how much was milled off the head gasket surface. The R head was machined for a 1 1/2" carburetor while the others used a 1 1/4". Rocker arms may have had a different offset ( ratio from pushrods to valves).
Can someone speak to the spark plug thread size on the 3 models?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

I was all in at $2500. My dreams were to paint it up Speedy Bill style and install in a block with a cam only. I thought it would be neat to set on my coffee table. Maybe even install a handle on the end of the cam and install some weak valve springs so you could rotate it by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Yep, maybe $3200-$3500 ought to get it. That's what super complete heads with accessories are going for these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

I was going to say 3500.00 is the probable selling price. But I have been proven wrong before. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:41 am:

The Fronty sold for $2705.88. Good buy considering how complete it is, but out of my reach at the moment.

The Waukesha head went for $410.79 which I thought was high considering it has been welded up between #1 and #2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:51 am:

When your spending that much money on a single item I'd want to handle it and not go by a photo alone. Some times there is a very fine line between "wall hanger" and usable part. A handful of "Hope" weighs considerably less then $2705.88. Caveat emptor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration