Transitional Frame Documentation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transitional Frame Documentation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:02 am:

While organizing parts for relocating, I re-found this frame I had picked up several years ago with a garage "buyout" - I faintly remember some discussion regarding frame identification and thought I would share this photo - it has cast R.B. brackets and is drilled for a battery box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Interesting Steve. I wonder what they did in 1913? The tourings had the support brackets under the back doors, and the roadsters did not. Did they have a separate assembly line for the roadsters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:01 am:

years ago I saw a frame in Grants Pass, OR that had Sedan on it in the same type of lettering. I don't remember what type if any running board brackets it might have had

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Years ago I had a unrestored 1924 coupe, it's frame had COUPE stenciled on the left rear frame rail like Steve's touring frame above. I always wondered why Ford did that and if all chassis at the factory were identified in that manner. Some bodies required a heavier spring (sedans and pick-up's) so maybe it was done to be easily identified on the assembly line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:58 am:

You had to steer how many cars were made of the different styles depending on sales and the daily supply of bodies, maybe it had to do with that also. The spare wheel bracket style also differed with what body you had in certain years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 02:24 am:

Larry, the story I heard about the brackets under the 1913 back doors was that the brackets were supplied after the fact for the dealers to fit and correct the problem, like today's field recalls. That would explain why roadsters did not have them.

A forged running board frame with battery box mounting holes would be a 1919-21 model on our Canadian sourced cars. Prior to that there was no battery to mount and after 1921 they switched to the pressed steel one piece supports.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Allan, are you sure about that last part? Every 1920 and 1921 car I've seen both Canadian or American have the stamped running board brackets. Same with the oval gas tanks and one piece front spring mounts. So far, I don't know how early in 1920 the changes occurred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

I had a Coupe with the stencil. I'm wondering if the spare tire carrier was a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Dave, my 1920 roadster buckboard has forged running board supports, but I built it from parts. However, my reference car was an original 1921 Duncan and Fraser bodied tourer, which was a faithful restoration of a complete running original. There is another just like it in Victoria. My original 1922 tourer with known local history had the pressed steel type supports.

All three of these tourers shared the same body style. There were minor differences in the door latches on the two earlier ones, and they had buttons in the seat back upholstery, whereas my 1922 had plain pleats.

It would appear that a study of cars is called for to determine when these changes were made.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Allan I agree more study of Canadian cars is needed. I hope to learn more when the touring season starts up again. I had my car out all day yesterday but, tomorrow is calling for a mountain of snow and more road salt of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Maybe fuel tanks also.
Round to Oval

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

I've studied the phenomenon of "stenciled" frames for quite a while. The answer is very simple. It was done as an aid on the assembly line. If a car was to be equipped with a sedan body, the correct rear spring, fuel tank, and fuel supply line had to be installed. The situation gets more convoluted when you factor in the spare tire carrier, rear fenders, rear fender brackets, etc., etc., etc. I've looked at several original cars and on every low mileage original, I found evidence of the frame stenciled as pictured. I've even seen it on 1 ton trucks!! This appears to be present on 1923 and later years. I haven't been able to observe enough earlier cars to find any evidence of stenciling. I would love to get the opportunity to look at the "Rip Van Winkle" Ford to see if the frame is marked. I hope this helps!! Happy travels all!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration