Clunk when shifting from low to high

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clunk when shifting from low to high
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:11 am:

I probably should have titled this thread ( Major starting Problem- continued ) however I have been able to solve, I think, my starting problems. Following all advice given including replacing the timing gear with an Aluminum one. My problem now is that when I let the pedal out for High gear the car shudders and grabs. I noticed last year at the final car show of the year that it was not shifting as smooth . I have not really been into this engine and I'm sure it needs some clean out and probably a valve job, but I'd like to hold off on major tear down until this fall. I'm hoping an adjustment will keep the car rolling until after this years car shows. As always any and all advise will be greatly appreciated and followed. Harv.11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:36 am:

The word clunk makes me think immediately of U-joint or rear axle, but shudders and grabs suggests maybe clutch adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Harv when you shift from low to high do you retard the throttle? If not that could be some of the issue. Another might be the strength of your spring in the transmission or the finger adjustment on the spring. However I'd be more concerned with the clunk and the possibility you have some potential rear axle issues that could be very dangerous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:48 am:

When you shift from low to high, pause for a second in neutral and push up on the throttle Then let the clutch out quickly and pull down again on the throttle after it is in high. The shuddering is caused by the slipping of the clutch disks while the engine is going much too fast for high gear. The idea is to match the engine speed to what it would be after you get shifted into high.

Likewise if you are shifting from high to low, you need to speed up the engine to what it would be going after it is in low.

This just takes a bit of practice.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration