J-B Weld on spring leaf

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: J-B Weld on spring leaf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

The end of one side of my top spring has worn a rather large rut into the leaf underneath.

Do you think if I filled in this rut with J-B Weld, that would keep the rut from coming back, or would the top spring quickly wear away the J-B Weld?

I can say the shackles and perch bushings were SHOT. I am installing all NOS shackles, bushings, and upgrading the rest of the front axle parts.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

It would quickly wear away.
If the blades still have enough strength, the best you can do is to round off the lower outer edges of the leafs that otherwise keeps on digging into the leaf below.
Paint them with a mix of black paint and graphite like Ford did (or buy it already mixed = slip plate paint from Tractor Supply :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Hi Tom here is how I do it...

Close-up of wear caused by leaf above:

Wear ground off with an angle grinder followed by sanding disc:

Bottom of every leaf rounded off at each end to prevent future wear:

Leaves lubricated with graphite paint:

Springs going back together:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Chris has it right. There's no repairing the wear spot. All you can do is move the wear spot to another area by grinding the leaf above and keeping it lubed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Thanks, great info!

My gouge is very deep. I guess this means I'll need another leaf.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Great post, Chris!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Molybdenite a naturally occurring mineral added as flakes to grease makes a better additive then graphite for your springs. It stays slippery even after the grease burns off and actually bonds into the porosity of the iron.

These are samples of Molybdenite I mined years ago at an old tungsten mine in Calaveras Co. Ca. It's very similar to graphite in being soft and micaceous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Chris has it right, Tom you can even go so far as grinding the bottom edge in an angle even greater than Chris was talking about based on the depth of the gouge your talking about. By doing this you are mimicking the early taper leaf type springs that rarely had these issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

On a deep rutchie what I did was get that Teflon sping strips and line between the worst leaves and painted the rest with graffiti pain mix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Damn deep rut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Tight wadded as I am if it were me and the worn groove was deep,I would get another spring leaf.
Then do the steps above to prevent damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

All good info. Yep, I am continuing my Classifieds search for another leaf.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

I've ordered and received single leaves from the Model T Haven before. Measure and call.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration