Stevens T-181 Hub Re-Threader on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stevens T-181 Hub Re-Threader on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

This must be a once in a blue moon week.

There is a Genuine Stevens, NY T-181 hub re-threader that has just appeared on eBay. This is the preferred tool for cleaning up the hub cap threads on Model T front and rear hubs.

I have no interest in this tool, but I have seen many people on this forum who have asked about where they can buy or borrow one over the years.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-STEVENS-T-181-Ford-Model-T-era-THREAD-CHASER-DIE -Hub-repair-TOOL-/391395129194?hash=item5b20f7b76a:g:FHoAAOSwe7BW0w5W&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Wow. This will be fun and educational to watch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Almost $130 with 6 days to go. This could get crazy. I'd like to have one, but I think I'll make my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Interesting, as just yesterday I was trying to put a hubcap on a wheel that had bad threads. A friend had given me one of the OTC C-Clamp type thread chasers some time ago and with the 24 TPI die it cleaned the threads very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:24 am:

This is one of the tools that I find myself using most often. Not on my own cars, but on everyone else's. If you own one you will have lots of new friends!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Are these expensive because of the vintage, hard to find aspect. Or is there really no other exactly equivalent modern option for chasing hub threads?

If that's the case, it sure would seem like someone would stand to benefit from re-making them as was done with the Stevens Front Axle Tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Well, for what it's worth, we are in the process of doing precisely that. It'll be awhile yet but we are moving forward with the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Thanks for that information, R.V.

It's hard to imagine how different this hobby would be without the folks who dedicate their time and talents to improve it for everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Some of US "T nuts" collect Stevens tools !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Some of us T nuts use Stevens tools. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Perhaps I should re-phrase - "Some of US "T nuts" collect & use Stevens tools" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Wow - I might have to sell mine seeing how crazy this price is getting! I got mine for 85 bucks online about 6 years ago.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I bid $125 but now it is twice that. I can find half a dozen replacement hubs for that amount....
I remember seeing that someone cut open a suitable die and "somehow" holds them in a band. Can anyone remember where a picture of a home made one might exit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

It takes forever but, I use a thread file instead.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Travis,
I can undercut your price. Mine was just AU$25, about US$17.50, at our local T club swapmeet. The guy knew what it was, but didn't know what car it suited.

My guess is this Ebay auction will see a number of them offered when they see the price.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 04:44 am:

Stephen - Only trouble is, besides that it's much slower, the thread file actually removes material whereas I'm pretty sure the Stevens tool or die tends more to "straighten" the threads rather than remove metal,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 05:23 am:

Tony - in this thread Wayne Sheldon shows how he made a homemade version of the Stevens tool: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/603623.html?1452612871

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I have a question about the modern OTC thread chaser that works on the hubs for those who have them...

Does it really matter which way the die is mounted? Stamped side down on the anvil? OR Stamped side facing up on the anvil?

I'm not sure that it matters, but thought to ask ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Thanks Roger. I can do that, all I need is a little time.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Harold, I'm sure the Stevens tool is better but, the threads only hold on the hub cap and there are still plenty of good threads for the hub puller.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I think that most messed up Model T hub cap threads get messed up at the outer end of the thread. Getting a standard design die straight on damaged threads can be difficult at times, if not impossible.

This is where the beauty of the Stevens T-181 comes in. Since it is in effect a hinged die, it can be opened up and positioned next to the shoulder of the thread where the threads are likely to be undamaged. Then the die can be closed and adjusted to insure that the rethreading tool is square on a section of the threads. Once the tool is on and properly adjusted, then it is just a mater of un-screwing the tool from the hub. Since the tool began on a good section of threads it will tend to recut the outer end of the hub cap thread so the entire thread will be straight and true.

I have used mine successfully for years, and, no, there is no way I am going to part with it so long as I am still doing repair work on Model Ts.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

This re-threader sold for $606 during the time the forum was down.

Is this the new reality?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

No Dan, it is the new lunacy. More dollars than sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Perhaps not the new lunacy?
"If you need a tool and don't buy it soon you will find out that you have paid for it and don't have it"; Henry Ford. Of course the operative word is NEED.
I doubt few who currently own a Stevens T-181 Model T hubcap thread repair tool and actually use it would trade it for $600. Clearly some will pay that much to get one.
As Trent Points out above it is the easiest to use tool for this kind of repair.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

RV,I hope you can price your repops a little better.I would love to have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Like Jack said.....me too!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

When u got it u got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

I can probably get them down to $599, so yes, I can do better.

wink wink...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Perhaps lunacy was too strong, or just the wrong word. And, truth be told, maybe just maybe I was/am a trifle chagrined that I can't bid that high for that tool. I would like to have one in the drawer for those times when I need it. Living in penury does constrict the Model T Discretionary Fund, but the benefit is that frugal creativity is fostered and enhanced. Good luck with your projects, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

I have said it before. Sometimes when you see something you want, and you may never see it again, price, and common sense do not apply. There is an item on e-bay right now, I want (no Im not telling) that I will bid 4 or 5 times what it "should be worth" because I may never see it again. Then I will sell enough "lesser items" on e-bay, that I have in my hoard of parts, to pay for it. I may have to sell 10 things or more (that I would have easily traded for it)to get the money back. I am picking up something in Chickasha for the speedster project (no Im not telling, "yet"), that took 38 e-bay auctions to pay for it. But now I have a nice item for the speedster, and 38 items are gone that I really did not have anything in or needed. So sometimes its just how you look at the deal or buy.... have fun and be safe....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

It makes Wayne's alternative very attractive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

I wonder how much I can get for my thread file on eBay??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

If I could borrow one, I would make a pattern and have them cast! It isn't that hard. JP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

And in the end.......it's ALL just "STUFF", at least that's what my wife says.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Got that right, Jay !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Jay that's almost exactly what my wife says except her S word has only four letters in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Wow. Yeah, that is why I figured out a way to make something myself!
It may not be pretty. But it does a nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 02:20 am:

I am building one now, and hope it will work !!!
2379R
2391R
Toon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration