Any leap year T's on the road?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Any leap year T's on the road?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Well, if no one noticed today is leap day. Any survivors and drivers with engine numbers for Feb 29, 1911,1916, 1924?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:48 am:

NOPE! But I got the Tee Shirt! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:53 am:

None here either, but my grandson has a friend who turns 4 today and looks more like 16. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:06 am:

None here either, but have cousins (a sister and a brother) who were both born on February 29 with 8 years in between.

There's a higher probability of finding a barn fresh two lever T in untouched condition than that. ;p

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:13 am:

It's my birthday and I just turned 16. And it's the best excuse I have for acting the way I do most of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Steve - now THAT'S what I call a good excuse! :-)

and Happy Birthday!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:48 am:

My Mom said she kept her feet up all day back in 1956 so I wasn't a leap-year baby - must have worked - BD is the 1st !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:53 am:

This is My second anniversary of retiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:55 am:

What a great question! A leap day T I never thought of that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

There is at least part of one. Early transmission main shafts are stamped with the date. We built one with the shaft stamped 2/29/12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Steve R! Happy Birthday!! Guess I can call you "young man" now. (I will be 64 in July)
Drive carefully, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Not on the road by a long shot but, I finished the rear axle and drive shaft today including paint ! Spent 4 hours today taking the spool back off 'cause the clamp on the FP modern spool was hitting inside the torque tube, all's well. I do hope to be done before next leap year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

1911 was not a leap year. A leap yr. has to be
divisible by four. I was waiting for Jerry V. to
correct this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Well then!! My data source is wrong. See Model T Ford, McCalley. Page 504, Serial Numbers. 29 February 1911 first number 40,300.

If this is an error, are there others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Very interesting. It sure does list Feb. 29, 1911 first number 40,300. Then it lists the March 1 first car as 40,232.

If you go to page 506 you'll see that the data for late 1911 and all of 1912, which was a leap year, are pretty vague. I understand missing or incomplete data, but it would be interesting to know exactly how Feb. 29, 1911 got on the books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Norm is right - 1911 was not a leap year (check any online calendar's for that year) but 1912 was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Just to keep the record accurate:

Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100, but these centurial years are leap years if they are exactly divisible by 400. For example, the years 1700, 1800, and 1900 are not leap years, but the year 2000 is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

For those who prefer to hear it verbally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1i3vkkh-0

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Very good explanation. Thanks Mark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Bruce could well be accurate when noting the production of a car on 29 Feb, 1911, if he was relying on factory records. My 1917 shooting brake has a casting date of 11-31-16! It would seem that there were a few incompetents at work over the years.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Allen B of Australia, That is only because you are on the other side of the dateline!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration