Patch panels, How good are they?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Patch panels, How good are they?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Looking over what needs replacing on the cab and I noticed some of our vendors have patch panels and some body panels available for the 1927 Coupes.

My concern is how well they are made. ie How good of a fit are they?

This corner piece for eg. In the pic it looks like it does Not come with the inside turn to pinch it behind the "T" strip that holds everything together. Almost like they have just made it to weld into place, rather than fit into the seam like it should.

Anyone use on of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Not that one in particular but panels are a rough outline for an experienced panelerer. :-)

Be prepared to pie cut, slit, add on, etc. They're cheap and definitely worth it in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:46 am:

That's kind of what I was expecting. Something to get you "in the ballpark", but be prepared to do the fit and finish work.

Was really hoping that the rear corners, like the one in the pic would have been made with enough material to have the finished corner to the pinch though.

That way if someone wanted to do a slightly more in depth job they could. If they just wanted to but weld without exposing the pinch they could just cut it back.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Yes, and the general rule of thumb is to use as much original sheet metal as you can. Don't feel obligated to use the entire panel.

I strongly recommend never lap welding seams, even if they come that way. Jambs and deliberate lapped seams are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williams on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

My issues has been the patches use thinner metal and require skillful fitting and welding.

But if done correctly, it's the only way fix rust outs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Looks good, Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I will be slightly pissed if the patches are thinner metal. They are advertised as being the Correct gauge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Or make your own! If I could do it, then anyone with basic skills and willingness to do it, can accomplish it, too

Much of what I needed, I couldn't buy...and what I could buy, turned out to be only a bare facsimile of what I really needed and required a LOT of work to make fit. The "lower 4 inches" that I bought was almost useless beyond being donor metal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration