24 Touring Top Bows

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 24 Touring Top Bows
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Slowly winding down on the restoration of my 24 Touring. The last major job is restoring the top bows.
I am almost tempted to buy a new set from Langs.
Has anyone bought them, and what is your experience with them? Are they the same as the originals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Three years ago, my 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup) came to me with a set of early (2-man) roadster top sockets with rotted and broken bows. So, I sold off those parts cheap and bought a new set of one-man roadster top sockets, bows, and aluminum rivets from Lang's. I had to shave down the ends of the bows a bit to allow them to fit into the sockets, which is to be expected. Once the bows slid into the sockets properly, I drilled holes for the rivets and squeezed the rivets in my bench vise.

Everything worked out fine - I then bought a one-man roadster top kit from Classtique and installed it on my new sockets and bows, see pics below. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

pic7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Looks great.
I have done new tops on a couple of tourings, I found the most important part was getting the height of the bow correct and doing it in the sunshine on a warm day...

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on February 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Dan, I'll send you a private message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I should have been more specific I am actually considering the whole assembly, irons and wood. I really don't like to use repro anything if I can help it. I know my originals are going to need a lot of work and I'm short on time to finish this car and the work my wife and I are doing putting on the MTFCI National Meet in July. I thought if the repros were exact I would consider using them. Mark, thanks for taking the time to post all the pics, your truck looks good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I went through this two years ago. I paid for a set of used bows for my 23 touring. Received them and realized the amount of work it would be to get them straight, painted and finished. Many rot from the inside out from moisture.

Since I was going to fork over for a new top and professional installation, I went over budget and got the new bows and wood. I think it made for a much smoother and easier installation. Fit was excellent. These were from Langs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration