What are the pros and cons of a Roadster?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What are the pros and cons of a Roadster?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

As I prepare myself to purchase my grandfather's 23/24 Roadster I've been wondering this. What are the pros and cons of the roadster body style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Con: Limited passenger capacity.

Pro: Limited passenger capacity!

Just depends on how you're wired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

I had one and loved it, but when we had our 2nd child, it was time to sell it and get a Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Pro- Great Montana 500 car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Pro- less money on paint, upholstery and top. Con- you wish you had a touring when everybody wants to ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Lighter weight from vehicle and no passengers means better hill climbing. You live near me and your going to need the power on hills!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

You can take the deck off and make it into a Pickup, now that a big pro. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Easier to see when you are backing up than a Touring or Sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Girls love it when the top is down

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

David, indeed! :-) Right now she's chugging a little bit because the motor was rebuilt like new and has maybe 100 miles on it. Nowhere near broken in yet and tight/not putting off full power. My grandfather gets sore when he works on it these days so I've pretty much been his hands on mechanic for the car for 5 years now. I have to keep telling him to stop turning the carb needle when I get it just right -_-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

They are a blast and seem to put a lot of smiles on peoples faces unless it's my wife. She refuses to have fun riding in it, it messes up her hair. My dog on the other hand just loves it. And two thumbs up to what Mark said about the truck conversion. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

yeah, I've really been eyeing one of Lang's pickup kits or one of Ken's in PA bed kits. I like my pickups too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Good for touring because they have a trunk where you can carry a limited amount of luggage. They are light weight and get better mileage and better for hill climbing. I think they look very good.

Of course most T'rs have more than one T so a good extra T is a touring or sedan. Then when you want to carry passengers you have room for them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

You mean, there are other cars beside a roadster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

I had a wood bed on mine. That along with a roll-up rear window on the top made it great for tours. The disadvantage though is that you don't have any covered storage if you're away from the car and want to hide tools and/or valuables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

I agree with Walter... Pro's & Con's.
However, great truck space, lots to store n locked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Derek, all you need is a tonneau cover. Apickup bed is a real boon when travelling. I made a set of stock sides for mine when we did a loooong trip to Western Australia and back. Put a false floor half way up the sides so we could access stuff without having to unload to get to the bottom.

We had a custom made canvas cover to keep out the weather and prying eyes.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

I've had a '13 roadster for over 11 years, and like it very much. I've probably put over 20,000 miles on it, mostly on HCCA tours, but occasionally on Model T or Snappers tours. I also do a lot of local puttering. I like hilly country, and the roadster is certainly lively on hills. But one of these days I'm going to sell it and buy an '11, '12, '13 or '14 T touring car. One of my great pleasures is sharing the fun of my old Ford by giving rides, and you can't pile kids, or a family, into a roadster. It's time to move up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

You can raise or lower the top with one hand even while driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Only thing better then a roadster is a speedster but
I do miss the top what's funny is when I was single I had a touring when I been married it's been speedster or roadster go figure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

You can take two passengers if they're not too big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 12:53 am:

You can't beat the roadster for the cuteness factor!
Matthew, if your Grandfather's car has been a roadster all its life, I'd hesitate to change it, unless you do a change that can be easily un-done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Con's : No official back seat, Common body style.
Pro's : Can make pickup, tie old couch on back for rear seat..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:37 am:

When you get up past 1913, where the only paint used was black and pin-striping was but a memory and stepped bodies without front doors were an even more distant memory, the Touring body, with its large, flat expanse of blackness, almost completely devoid of detail, became... well, nothing special to look at. _That's the reason I decided to go heretical and finish my wheels in clear varnish over stained wood-grain; the car just needed some texture when viewed from the side. _Now, the black void is expansive enough on my '15 brass Touring, but imagine how that large, featureless silhouette would be accentuated in the case of those completely black cars built after 1916.

Well, Roadsters don't have the above problem. _Their bodies are short, their tops are rakish and sporty looking, and the trunk is a pleasing shape that swoops and sweeps and breaks up the lack of discernible rhythm that I find so visually disadvantageous in the Touring body.

Now, don't get me wrong. _Please understand I'm speaking in comparative terms. _I love my Touring and no way would I trade its utility and carrying ability for the zip and dash of a 2-seater, but I gotta admit, that little Runabout is one sporty looking machine. _Twenty-three skiddoo!

Oh, how I wish Mr. Ford had decided to carry pin-striping and cheerful colors all the way through the Model T line, but... oh well, you all know the story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 02:08 am:

Makes a terrific lawn ornament

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 07:31 am:

C'mon now Steve, do you have to use your car to hide the Rolls Royce? I'm sure you could get both in one picture. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Matthew, we have both a 26 Roadster Pickup and a 1910 Touring Car.
We love the pickup as it is cosy for the two of us, performs well on the road (especially with the top down) and it's very handy to transport light goods, picnic chairs, spare wheel and some tools. We thought that having the touring car would be fantastic as we could invite friends to travel with us on tours.
Guess what? We now transport all of our stuff on the back floor and have little to no space available! The Touring car is very spacious and we enjoy them both very much for different occasions. Allan suggested a cover for the rear section which is a great idea especially for those wet days.
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Dave, that's my brother's car. Remember the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh in Oregon years ago? It came from that collection. Supposedly the bhagwan had a Rolls for every day of the week. Mike says that's the Tuesday car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Back in the day when I was dating, I found a back seat to be very useful, Now not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Ok thanks Steve. I thought you might be the lucky owner. A car like that is on my retirement list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:53 am:

I have one touring and two roadsters. One of them is a roadster pickup. I like the touring because I can put a cooler on the floor in the back, and still carry two suitcases. I could do that with the roadster pickup too, except I spent so much time restoring it, I don't like to carry much back there cause I don't want to mess up the paint!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:09 am:

haha you all are going to get me in trouble. I can feel the eyes of my future some day wife glaring at me "you bought another one?" ....."well honey we need one to take the kids in...."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. I've owned two roadsters and a touring. I prefer roadsters for looks and stronger on hills. Matt, I had a 25 roadster at one time,those are nice comfortable machines. You will be glad you got it. Having said that, I have friends who own coupes and sedans. If I had space I would get a closed car for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Yeah, Matthew, but nothing beats a family piece. Driving your grandpa's runabout is like going for a ride with him. I have a lot of my grandfather's (and some of my great grandfather's) tools. I wish I had one of their cars.
Whatever you decide, do what is best for you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Dave,
Save yourself some headaches and take it off your retirement list. Yes, Roll's don't break down, but they do occasionally fail to proceed. Friend of mine had a 6 cylinder model from the 1960s. We had to replace a rear axle. Just the axle itself was $300, and I think that was used!
They do have some clever engineering in them, but if you have to ask the price of the parts, don't buy one!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration