Is there any way to tell a NOS rear fender from a repro fender.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is there any way to tell a NOS rear fender from a repro fender.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

I have a very nice pair of 17-25 rear touring/roadster fenders . They came from an estate that had lots of NOS parts. They have been glass beaded and have a coat of grey primer on them . The brackets are installed and the rivet job looks perfect. There is a slight 'waffle head" to the inside of the rivets. I have looked very closely around and under the brackets for traces of black paint but I see none. I do see the bare glass beaded surface that the primer did not reach. So the big question is. are there any differences anyone knows of between Rootlieb fenders and original. I know that the Rootlieb fenders are very well made, but there should be some little sign of who made them . I plan on selling them in the classifieds, for delivery to Chickasha and want to present them correctly as to what they are. It does matter to some folks as to repro or original. Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Donnie, as far as I know, Rootlieb fenders for 17-25 came without brackets. You have to supply and fit your own. If yours are perfectly riveted and the slight waffle to the rivets, I would think you have new old stock fenders. Is there any sign of wear on the brackets where they are clamped to the fender stays? It would be hard to find new old stock brackets to fit to new Rootlieb fenders.
Perhaps if you are still in doubt, just let the buyer decide for himself.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Allan. Thanks for mentioning the brackets and possible wear. The brackets on the fenders have obviously never been used. So it is highly unlikely that a set of new never used brackets were installed in a repro set of fenders. I went ahead and listed them for sale and will let the buyer make their own decisions. Thanks .... have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration