Old Photo - The Competition - One Day's Output At The Chevrolet Factory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - The Competition - One Day's Output At The Chevrolet Factory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:48 am:

All tourings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Too bad they didn't last as long as the Ford! For every 100 Model T's you might see one old Chevy.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I see a roadster on the left! I think that photo is taken in Fremont, California. There are probably houses all over those hills now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I wonder why no front fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:26 am:

With the lack of rain in California they didn't need them! :-) It's a California assembly plant, note the sign on the building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Maybe they were sent by train, and could be packed much better with the fenders beside them or inside the car. Model T's were sent with all fenders off during the same period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:32 am:

There is one on ebay right now if anyone is interested.http://www.ebay.com/itm/161988122070?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

No fenders? probably GM cost cutting like their trucks of today with the rectangular wheel wells. They sure save a lot of sheet metal, must believe round plug goes in a square hole, laugh every time I see one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Here's a picture of the latest from Chevy:

chevy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

You might get a smooth ride if you find a road like this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

With tires like those on the blue truck above, it is no wonder that GMC is advertising that its "ride control" reads and makes 100,000 adjustments per minute on its new pickups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Oakland California, the Eastmont mall is now there. This was the main Oakland plant and I believe opened in 1917. After Durant went bust, Chevrolet purchased the Durant/Star plant on San Leandro Blvd. in Oakland and made it the Chevrolet truck plant. Engines and other heavy components were trucked over there from this location.
I suspect that this picture taking opportunity was available because they were having trouble in the fender department and "stock piled" the almost finished cars to await fenders rather than stop production.
These are "490" Models
I grew up a couple of miles away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Tom, now that really made me laugh, now it matches. Terry, another good laugh, just what everyone needs, a truck that adjusts it's ride 100,000 times per minute. I can imagine the repair bill on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

An early Chevy photo:

http://files.tested.com/photos/2014/05/20/55-61337-sam-gross-caveman-pulling-sto ne-wheel-from-cave-on-flat-ca-1400615378.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

I worked construction on the Eastmont Mall when it was being built. Here is some additional info on the GM plant at that location

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/08/18/found-earliest-photo-of-chevrolets -oakland-plant/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

My third most favorite vehicle after the T speedster and the wife's Crown Vic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Gary that is one fine looking car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Thanks Mark. Got it before getting interested in Ts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration