OT - "Just Breathe!"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - "Just Breathe!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

On another OT thread, I see that Mack 'was able to get his breathing reconstructed to get it right'. Am sending all the best wishes!
This thought should also be shared with others......

An area to also be aware of for breathing is our own snoring, quality of sleep, and sleep apnea. (It killed Reggie White, -NFL's "Minister of Defense"-, an un-paralelled athlete at the age of 43...)
About 3 years ago, my doc's sleep-study analysis said "Marv, too??!!" He set me up with a 'BPAP' vs. 'CPAP' machine. (Bi-level vs. continuous positive airway pressure.) Saw the doc annually, but again yesterday. Current results? Have had more & better quality of sleep, the 'stop breathing episodes' went from almost 6 per hour down to average 0.7 per hour, and helped to lower my ongoing blood pressure too!
"Why?" am I mentioning this? Just maybe, if you snore, or perhaps wake up 'in a jolt', don't be selfish and dismiss it..... It could save YOUR life!:-)
Personally, I appreciate having the opportunity of 'TIME' - With my Bride, my Family, and my T's! (How soon will your T's reside with someone else?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Another note: I can't say that the mask is overly enjoyable, but I think of 'what' the alternative could be... Life is still in God's hands, but I also should do my part!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I go in next week for a sleep test, sleeping in a separate bedroom than your wife at 34 is not fun. I got kicked out for snoring a while ago so now I hope they can treat it somehow. My primary doctor told me to lose some weight. Haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

For what it's worth,......

About 20 years ago, my wife nagged me until I finally went in for a sleep study. She said that my breathing was stopping at night more and more and it had begun to scare her. After the best night's sleep I'd had in years, the technician that conducted the "sleep study" woke me up and told me that my "nagging" wife probably did me the best favor that anyone ever did! I needed the machine badly! I don't remember the numbers anymore, but I know that my blood/oxygen, which should be something around 95% or better in an adult, had dropped to something like 62%! I'm on my 3rd bi-pap machine now and quite frankly, I'd sure have a tough time without it! And by the way, for someone who might not know, a bi-pap machine and c-pap machine are the same machine. Only difference is the prescription for the settings on the machine. C-pap is "constant pressure", and bi-pap just means that the machine settings are adjusted to provide a different pressure for inhaling than for exhaling. That's one of many things that is determined during the sleep study. First, to determine if you actually NEED the machine, and then, if so, how it should be adjusted for your particular needs. Anyway, it's a wonderful advance in the medical profession, and I can also tell you that the machines, as wonderful as my first one was, and despite how much it helped me, the machines have gotten much, much better. Quieter and much more compact. And by the way Marv, don't be afraid to opt for the humidifier if they think you need it,.....I struggled without it for several years with sinus problems, and discovered that the humidity made all the difference. Some (like me) need it, and some don't. Good luck with the sleep study Marv, and I'm predicting that you'll end up being very glad you did it,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Well shoot! Between reading this thread, and writing my "epistle", I got the names wrong! Okay, first, thanks for starting this thread Marv, and I just thought I'd reinforce your good advice. And what I should have said is,...good luck to you James, and I hope all turns out well for you!

There! And that's what I get for not having my second cuppa' coffee this morning! That's my excuse and I'm stick'n to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Thank you Harold, I hope to get a good night sleep soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

I've had my cpap for 13 years now and last night I had the worst night's sleep in years. Today is my birthday, and last night I celebrated by having a bean burrito, followed with a bag of popcorn. Let me interject that a cpap machine is really a supercharger for snoring old f**ts... Well to make a long story short, I broke wind and my depends inflated like a swimming inter tube... I'll leave the rest to your imaginations. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

This sleeping thing is overrated AND annoying ! Think of how much one could
get done with all that time wasted sleeping !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

About 15 years ago I fell asleep during a City Council meeting--not a good thing when you're a city employee! The City Administrator (Whom I could not stand), told my Director to have me checked out. Went to the sleep study, and they woke me up in the middle of the night to put me on a machine--no question, I had "IT." The first night I told Linda, "I am the Borg, you will be assimilated-resistance is futile!" Now she has a machine too. I know if we'd both lose weight, the situation would improve. This also answered my question of why my blood pressure was up when I woke up in the am. Didn't make sense to me, sleeping, lying down, why the higher blood pressure? I guess that should have been a clue!
Sad ending to this tale though; The City Administrator's husband was scheduled for the test, and died from heart failure caused by sleep apnea the day before his test.
Even with the machine, my O2 level drops in the afternoon if I've sat at a desk all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:12 am:

It is a good feeling to know others have or are getting the message! And Harold, my machine came with the humidifier, so that does help during our heated / forced air winters. Suspect the arid climes would also find it beneficial. And Wes, Happy Birthday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 08:20 am:

A few of my friends around here are resistant to even going for the sleep study, despite my assurances that it is "no big deal". (Yes, I too have a C-Pap). Great device ...as has been stated, it takes a little getting used to - and there are a variety of headpieces. If you find one headpiece too uncomfortable after a week of trying, go back to the provider and request a different one.
It is really beneficial to me, and do advise going for the study if there is any question about not getting a good night's sleep.
A super nice accessory - along with the humidifier, is a HEATED delivery tube. Made a great difference in my comfort when I got that...
These devices rank right up there with accessory brakes to assure years of "T" enjoyment!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 08:27 am:

I only wish I could share everyone's "excitement" over CPAP/BiPAP. Have had apnea since being diagnosed back in '98. At that time, doc said try surgery (with poor results), the machine, or "wait and see". I remember mom having horrible experience with her machine. Took wait and see. Fast fwd. to 2010 and now all of a sudden after all these years and several Coast Guard physicals later, the C.G. decides I'm not "fit" to run the 117' excursion vessel anymore! So I get yet ANOTHER sleep study-$3500 with $1500 deductible, moderate apnea, Ox level 94%..not bad in my book. So I try BiPAP, with nose attachment vs. the mask. I can't tolerate things touching my face/head, so chose that. No go. Numbers got WORSE. Doc couldn't understand it. Upped the pressure. Really bad now. Numbers dropped only a few points, but my nose puffed up like Jimmy Durante's. Got an hours sleep is all each night. I was worse off with the sleep deprivation than the "interrupted sleep" from the apnea. So took it back. When God's ready to tolerate me, He'll call me home. I put my life in His hand's, from my expensive obsession with all my model T's to whether nor not I'll wake up the next morning. I subscribe to the saying "If He leads you TO it, He'll see you THROUGH it." Well, He leads us to everything. Oh yeah, the C.G. took my license away. So be it. There's a reason for everything. I haven't looked back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Sorry to read that Tim.

Yes, the machine is not tolerated by some.

Also, although I like my vehicles, I see the day when my legs are not going to bend enough to allow me to get into them...already, the "A" roadster is too difficult to enjoy.

T's are not for everyone either.

I, too, agree with your saying. Things will happen when He knows what is best for us.

Good Luck...and much patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I had an uncle who used to snore and then stop breathing and jump, then go back to snoring. I went on a trip with him and we stayed in the same room. He did that over and over all night. At the very old age of 53 (seemed old to me, as I was about 19 at the time) he died in his sleep. Sleep apnea is a dangerous condition and should be dealt with.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Along these lines, W.C. Fields (among others, such as Groucho Marx, maybe even Yogi Bera) said: "The cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." 'Makes sense - if you don't think about it. :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

I have used a CPAP for several years now. My wife can sleep with me now and I sleep better too, I have to admit after my initial resistance to the whole thing. Takes a while to get used to but now I even use it when the wife is out of town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Just got a call from the Visiting Nurse group to inquire if any of my machine's parts needed to be replaced. They have to 'document' for Medicare. Got everything covered! My apprehension comes in when something goes wrong, and then being without it. The rep says the machine's expected lifetime is for five years, which is good to know. Service work can be performed at any time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

I agree with the crowd, I have had my CPAP machine for 7 years and sleep better than I have my entire life. When I was tested in my late 50s I was having 34 episodes of sleep apnea an hour. No wonder I was tired all the time. It has been a miracle worker. I didn't like the mask and use the nasal pillows instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

ME TOO!

I have used a CPAP for around 20 years.

At one time I left it home when I traveled but now I pack it in my carry-on luggage.

Now I wake up without a sore throat and sore arm from being pushed at night.
Both my wife and I are better rested in the morning.

I am on my fourth machine and it is surprising how they have changed over the years. They are smaller, more confortable and make less noise.

(Message edited by nhusa on March 02, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Five years?? Uh oh, mine's at least 10 years old now.
When I first got mine, I had a letter from the doctor with it, because the airport security folks didn't know what it was. Later on, it wasn't any problem, they just insisted it be plugged in and turned on to prove it was really one & not a bomb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 01:04 am:

FYI Clarification - The rep told me that Medicare would cover a 'necessary' machine replacement every five years, service work between, filters at two per month, mask replacement every six months, cushions after a month, and (if I recall correctly) tubing after two months. 'Prevention' being worth the 'cure' (or one's life)???? Hope this helps someone.

And David... Don't go mentioning a 'bomb' around an airport!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration