When were the 2 piece steering gear cases discontinued

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: When were the 2 piece steering gear cases discontinued
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

I was looking at the early 1914 Touring for sale in the classifieds and it has a one piece gear box. It has a brass quadrant. I'm not so sure what the spark and throttle rod handle ends originally looked like. I know I have an incorrect column in mine but would like a correct one. For a January build car do I need the 2 pc or 1 pc gearbox? I always thought 2 pc until I saw the picture of the one for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/24786.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Thanks Ed. I've read that before but what got me thinking is the car pictured is early 14, has a 13 windshield but the one piece gearcase. I know they make repop brass quadrants because I have one. Maybe that is one. I'll keep my eye open for the correct gearcase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

I really don't like to put down in any way someone else's car, especially if it is for sale. So let me say, that mostly the car looks like a pretty good and mostly correct project.
However, that steering column is not a truly correct '14. That car should definitely have a two-piece gear case, not the one it has. The two-piece gear cases went into early '15 production, and even some cars as late as March '15 builds had the two-piece gear case. There may have been some one-piece gear cases on late '14 style cars made in model year '15, but all true '14s should have the two-piece case.
Secondarily, the spark/throttle quadrant appears to be a reproduction. I have two originals, and two reproductions of those, and they do look slightly different. The repros are a bit beefier around the thin area where they tend to wear.
The spark and throttle levers themselves appear to be later also. That small round flat end came about sometime in late 1915, AFTER the change to a one-piece gear case. MOST correct true '15s have the one piece gear case like the later cars (only exposed brass) and the earlier, style, longer flat area, spark and throttle levers. Most '16s, and even some late '15 model year cars had the small round ends. The particular combination of parts as shown in the for sale photos was never produced by the Ford factory.
I cannot say without looking closely at the firewall mount end of the tube whether it is a correct '14 or later one.
Regardless of the steering column. I wish I could afford to be seriously interested in that car. Like any such car, it should be looked at very closely by someone that knows what they are looking for. But most of what I can see in the photos looks pretty good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I was working on one of them last week. These were used until well into the 1915 model year as Wayne correctly says.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration