Shortened rear axle housings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shortened rear axle housings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 03:54 am:

I picked these up the other day.

I'm not sure what they would be used in as there are no mounting points on the extremities.

Could they be for a rail vehicle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 04:17 am:

Or small tractor. Ruckstell looking housing might be worth fitting a new tube and end to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 05:37 am:

That Ruckstell housing is worth salvaging. It is easy to weld on a standard housing (big or small drum)and have something valuable. I have done this several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Does anyone remember if the Shaw kit required the axles cut down? I would guess tractor conversion,but then,lack of brakes for steering while plowing hum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

They tell me this came off of a potato digger. I'm sure many clever farm folks modified these in ways we can't imagine. Wish it had been a Ruckstell.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 06:30 am:

Shaw advised that the rear axle be narrowed. Mine has been narrowed to approximately the total width of the housings pictured above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Does anyone have an opinion on re-lengthening a read end back to original?
I think that a long time ago there was a thread that showed this in a lathe.

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Jim Smith sent me these pics a while ago of a shortened Ruckstell side that he found, removing the tube stub wasn't too much trouble he said. Placed a regular length tube and the Ruckstell housing was ready to use.

Drill out rivets

make some cuts with SawsAll

removing the axle tube stub with punch around the rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Narrowed T axles were also common in Midget race cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

When Glen Chaffin builds Ruckstell axles, he starts with a regular left hand axle housing and cuts it close to the center section. He then installs the outer housing into the new Ruckstell housing. Apparently it is just the correct length when cut in this manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I have a narrowed Ruckstell axle similar to yours Andrew. I'm guessing it was for a little tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 02:57 am:

I think Stan Howe had a thread some time ago describing how he made a wide track housing for a Ruckstell. Very interesting thread. Might be some useful info there. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration