'22 Centerdoor inner tube.....any info out there?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: '22 Centerdoor inner tube.....any info out there?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I just removed the tire and tube from the rim off the '22 Centerdoor. Neither the tire or tube are usable but the tube is red and I'm wondering how old this might be. Any information is appreciated. thx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Would guess that red tube dates to the late 20's or late 30's, could have been old stock inserted in the 40's or 50's or so.

Red rubber tubes were considered premium heavy tubes in the day.

IMG_0451 (550x413).jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

It was funny, the tire was inflated. I took it off the rim because it was old and cracked but had good tread. The inner tube was hardened and goo'd up but still held air until I ripped it out. I think you are right on the age Dan. Thx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Had a couple red tubes but not like that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:36 am:

I saw some red tubes, and some grey tubes at Hershey last year, with the old metal valve stems on them. They were old stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I was reminded today how these red tubes keep disintegrating when exposed to the air. I have had one hanging for a couple of years and each month there is a piece or two that appears on the floor below it. The gift that keeps on giving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

This red tube, sectioned to see the tire, and flap was posted by someone a while back. Neat view of the clincher bead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

This thread has a lot of good Red Tube information if you have further questions.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/337773.html?1359338490

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

That's a good thread Richard, thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Thanks Richard for finding that link. I found 2 red tubes in some balloon tires last year, they were Farris brand..They're still around here somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Old junkyard humor: When an employee does/says something really stupid, the boss would say, "You've been smoking the RED inner tubes, haven't ya?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Our 16 has one red and one gray tube in front tires that I believe our original to the car the back tires were replaced in 1941 both red tubes

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration