Photo question - Chicago Plant 1923 or 24

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Photo question - Chicago Plant 1923 or 24
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

This photo was shared with me today along with the mention that the Chicago plant began assembling on March 3, 1924.

The electronic file name contains CAP-1923

What I immediately notice is that not all chassis have steering wheels. Those that don't have steering wheels also have a spare tire carrier with a rim installed. I'm wondering if these are chassis for closed cars and specifically which body style.

(Message edited by tmiller6 on March 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

I don't know about that, but 2nd in line is a TT. For some reason, I never envisioned TTs going down the same line as the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Interesting observation, and hypothesis. It could be a data point for the recent thread started by Steve T about frames being marked "touring", "coupe" etc. How this was handled may also have varied from one assembly plant to another. Not enough frames survive with the body style stenciled on their side to think all cars could have been done that way. But enough do survive with the stenciling to know that it had to be done for some reason. Maybe some of the assembly plants needed chassis outfitted for the specific body type?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Just a confirmation that the cars are 1924 model year. Notice the radiator apron.

And yes the 1926-27 improved cars had a radiator apron but they did not have the oval gas tanks under the seat and the dash was not already attached to the frame (except for the chassis only or the 1926-27 TT) because it was welded to the body that was dropped onto the frame.

Tom -- thank you so much for sharing it with us.

So many questions still to be answered again.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

This looks to me to possibly a 1923 line with white tires. I have always understood that by 1924 tires were either gray or black. What do you all know about that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Nice clean factory floor. My dad worked at the Olds forge plant in Lansing in the 50/60's. They held a family open house and I commented to Dad on how clean the place was for a forge plant. He said "You should have been here last week."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:49 am:

The first chassis has the ignition switch / ammeter panel wired in and laying over the firewall above the engine. There also appears to be some kind of bar or tube across the back behind the crossmember, or maybe it is something in the background. Doesn't look like spindle or axle nuts are installed yet. End of spindle really sticking out, and no hub caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 04:23 am:

Jeff, that switch/ammeter panel appears to be mounted on a "commercial" car or TT bracket that mounts on the firewall or on the dash of an aftermarket body. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 06:25 am:

The 26-27 Fordors have the oval tank under the seat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration