Crankshaft pulleys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Crankshaft pulleys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I was going through some cranks today and found a small pulley on an early T crank. I have pictured all 3. The large pulley is 3.5" in diameter, the smaller one is 3" and the smallest one is 2.75 in diameter. The first two are common, i have never seen the smallest one before.

(Message edited by adminchris on March 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

nobody has any info on the small pulley?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Kim, can't help with your question but I do know that the "standard" small pulley is not readily available used and in good usable condition. I tried for several days to find one on the forum and only got one response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Is the small one cast? I thought there was a small cast one used on the real early T's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:25 am:

I'm surprised by the lack of response. This is really a good subject. I've seen the three pulleys pictured above, and in addition to being smaller, the first small pulley is about 1/8" wider as well, and is indeed stamped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:56 am:

I have two of the smaller pulleys in my swapmeet stocks. In my experience, the differ from later ones in two ways. Each has four 1/4" holes drilled/cast in the back face. The pulleys themselves are cast. Our next type of small pulley was pressed steel. Then the larger ones to suit the wide snout pans were again cast.

The pressed steel smaller pulleys invariably are damaged, either being loose on the crankshaft and/or having the pin holes flogged out. I fix these by turning out the centre on my lathe and welding in a slightly heavier centre tube and then machining this to suit the crankshaft.

If anybody has a dozen or so flogged out pulleys I could use as cores, they would be appreciated.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:54 am:

Alan, I have had the small cast pulleys with the holes, but my small one is stamped. This is the only one I have ever seen, I have about a dozen good used 3" pulleys if anyone needs them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:46 am:

R.S. :

Snyder's catalog has both standard small & large crankshaft pulleys, made accurately, with the exception of a .002" smaller diameter opening to accommodate worn crank surface.

Machined from round stock, not a stamping.

I have one on my '26, runs true, no worn pulley knocking sounds... and uses the original pulley pin.

May be considered expensive, but a quality part. No user modifications or headaches.

Bob J.

T-3963-AS small
T-3963-B large

www.snydersantiqueauto.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Are not the cast pulleys with the holes from Canada? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Kim

Been off the air for 3 months. too much work going on.

Not sure what the pulley is you have. I thought they were all 3 inch after the first approx 2500 Fords?

The width of the pulley is a more important. Early ones are narrow and therefore sit more forward on the crank. This keeps the fan belt away from the 2 piece timer. Later pulley application will cause the fan belt to cut into the 2 piece timer lid.

Here is a piece from an earlier discussion from John Regan suggesting all pulleys after #2500 approx, were 3 inch:

By John F. Regan on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 06:46 pm:
I have the factory drawing for the pulley 602 revision 6/21/10 and it is stated for use on cars after the first 2500. The origin date on this drawing is Feb of 1909 and the previous change to my revision level of 6/21/10 is 9/25/09. There were 3 or 4 changes between Feb and Sept of '09. The thing would appear to be a stamping since it is called out as cold rolled steel #14 (.083 thick). It is 3" diameter at the highest point of the crown and 1-1/4 wide overall. It calls for the crown to be 1/16" thus the rim would be 2-7/8 diameter and the front edge. The entire edge of the outer pulley is 3/16 wider than the hub edge. Looks pretty much like later issue steel pulley. Has 25/63 hole all the way through it from outer rim through the hub area to the other outer rim. There are not any 4 holes around the hub or anything like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Here's an interesting variation. Leather-covered.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration