Alternator Kit for non starter/generator T's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Alternator Kit for non starter/generator T's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Does anyone have or know where I can get an alternator kit (brackets and crank pulley only would be ok)? The manufacturer (Texas T) for the kit does not know when they will have kits ready and none of the vendors (that I talked to) have any. I need the kit for a 1914 Touring. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:23 am:

If you only need to charge a battery for the coils, and not for lights or a starter, why not just use a magneto battery charger? It's a lot less expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 10:14 am:

I need power for lights as I plan to tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I have battery powered headlights on my '12, 15 and '14. I don't have any charging system other than a battery charger. I can go on a five day tour and use lights for driving to and from the restaurant every morning and evening after dark. No need to charge the battery until after I get home after the tour is over. The lights don't use very much power, and of course when you are driving it is on MAG so no power used there either. I don't typically use the starter at all (every car has been converted).

I left the halogen lights on overnight by mistake on my '12 and they were still full brightness the next morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Hi Jerry,

Why don't you power your headlights with the magneto? I do on my '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Thanks to all, I will try your suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Rovce, do I understand you added a starter to your 14? I am new to the "T" world so how did you convert to a starter? Thanks in advance! BTW my car is a 14 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

As much discussed, if you fit LED bulbs, the current drain drops enormously.
32W headlamps take 11A
A tail lamp takes one amp. Total 12A.
With LEDs, it could be 1.2A total on dip, or 2.3A on high beam.
A magneto-based charger should cope with that.
Even with no charger or alternator, you should be able to drive for 40 hours or more on the battery, assuming your coils are on the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Jerry,

Adding a starter requires changing the transmission cover (hogshead) to a '19 through 25, and a flywheel, and mag ring to ones from a '19 through '27. There are no changes required to the earlier block. The transmission is also unchanged other than the use of a later flywheel with a ring gear. Obviously the starter, battery and electrical bits need to be added. A charging system is optional. I ran my speedster with no charging system for several years by simply charging the battery in the evening and that was using an electric starter, distributor and fuel pump as well as brake lights and a few other minor accessories. If your running coils and no other real load beyond the starter and possibly brake lights you should easily be able to tour for a week without recharging.

I think anyone doing work on a pre '19 car that requires removing the pan should replace the flywheel and mag ring with a later style just to make life easier should they or the next owner want a starter in the future. Save the original parts to go with the car in case the next owner really cares (and on a real early car they may).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Who makes this mag bat charger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Jerry,

How are your headlights set up now, gas or electric?

I assume there is no ring gear on your flywheel and you hand crank, correct?

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on March 08, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Bob M.
There are two magneto battery chargers being sold.
One interferes with original coil operation because of its design. The advertising recommends it not using it if you are using original coils. It also has no current limiting safety feature to protect your magneto if the diode fails. Compared to the other being sold it is very expensive.
The second unit, made by FunProjects is a very simple design, has current limiting, will not disrupt original coil operation and works very well keeping a 6 or 12 volt battery charged.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Ken, PO installed electric headlights (not connected to power), no ring gear and yes, I hand crank.

Walt, thanks for your input, will decide what to do soon. Thanks to all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Jerry I did not convert any of my cars to have a starter. Other people did.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration