What have you done with your T March

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What have you done with your T March
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 02:45 am:

Got this 6v horn from Terry Woods. Had Martin Vowell pound out some dents, I sanded,primed and painted. Took the innards apart, sanded some rust and wiped down with some boiled linseed oil. Seems the innards were copper coated/plated steel. Finished re-assembly and will test tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 02:55 am:

Rewired with new harnesses. Pulled the starter. Yes, I removed the bendix assembly first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 06:52 am:

Did you put new gaskets in? If not ,you still have to do that for it to work properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Better strip the cad plating off the new hardware or the paint won't stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 08:02 am:

would an etching primer stick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I don't like to use primer on hardware. Too easily damaged with handling. I use rattle can Rustolem straight from the can. I just posted info on plating removal here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/621515.html?1457097515

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Just finished in March a job started in February to get a friends' T running after 30 years:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/614873.html?1457050091

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Not "T" work but done in my "T" shop. Finally got my 1963 XKE Jag going, after sitting around 30 years--complete brakes, shocks, new gas tank, carbs--ready for paint and upholstery--Paul

`63 XKE Jag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Took another rear axle apart.

Nothing quite like the smell of old gear lube!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Finally drove one! Beautiful day here in wonderful Ohio. Took dog for a ride in her Model A, then two trips today in the '20 myself.

Ed, that's one gookey mess! I actually enjoy tearing those apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Tim, I'm disappointed in you! I've been driving mine all winter long! But I agree with you; the warm weather (69 degrees today!) sure helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Got a big step forward on the speedster frame and front end almost done steering firewall and should be up ready for a body soon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Radiator arrived today! Now just waiting for the fan belt pulley rebuild so I can change both pulleys (crankcase) when I switch out the radiator...

While I wait for all the parts I am building the tool roll in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/618563.html?1457479485

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Re-sealed by lifter covers on my 16 coupelet, slight weeping of oil, cleaned the interior wood getting ready for the upholstery and top. Also started to plan the installation of tail lights and turn signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Finally a car flea market! This was my spot at the Marcom meet in Norfolk Ma this past Sunday. It was just before the doors opened. Saw a few forum members there. Could see out the back window for the trip home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Here's some Yankee ingenuity! After last years' winter my snow shovel broke at the business end. Hmm' shaft length is right and can open up plastic handle. Got out the hacksaw and made my own version of ford 5-Z-248 tool. Will let you know if works after I change the rear outer seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Just rebuilding an other magneto coil ring.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Since I got a nice warning from the police to strap my kids down I decided to place 3 seat belts on the rear seat.
(Eventually I'll put two more upfront just have yet to figure out how to do it)
So, I cut some metal and drilled some pilot holes yesterday for rear seatbelt attachment point... So angle iron inside with a backing plate on the outside...
Just waiting for seatbelts to drill correct size holes, then prime and paint... Wait a few days then bolt on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Wow, all you guys have been busy!

I have, finally, removed the old Lucas (Prince of Darkness) 12V distributor. I also found that the advance/retard rod knocked the top clip off when you went for retard. Has been running with the cap only half held on for I don't know how long.

Now I have a nice 6v and coil/timer set up. It's a TW Timer with 4 new coils.

Radiator has been refitted and a couple of other little jobs done.

Can't wait to try it out.....has to wait as work keep getting in the way.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Paul didn't Lucus invent the intermittent wipers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Got my spiffy new Rajo 4 valve head all disassembled and ready for paint. It'll be black and eventually the valve covers will be brass plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

I still don't see how the police can force you to put seat belts in a car the never had them originally, but we do live in a complicated world today that would not tolerate raising kids the way we were raised.
I imagine you can't build a tree fort nowadays without a building permit, safety harnesses and handicapped access! Oh, and an arborist to approve the attaching points and weight load on the tree.
And letting a kid play with a hammer?? He could hurt himself!!
Paul, Every country has it's great inventors, here in the USA we had Edison, and Bell, in England they had Lucas, inventor of the short circuit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

James, Lucas sure did, they only intermittently worked! :-)

Having made all the Lucas jokes, I have to say I have had a number of cars with Lucas electrics and never really had any troubles.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Broke my engine down and delivered for tanking and assessment, bought an E-timer and a "hotrod"
carburetor. Next up is a Scat crank. I may have to report that for April's thread ?

Most "T-time" has been spent cleaning up the very disorganized shop, making space by putting stuff
away. One can now easily move through most areas of the shop and the more it gets organized, the
easier it is to put stuff where it belongs !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:57 am:

Burger - Keep that up and you won't be able to find anything ever again! And besides that, I have this theory that people who are organized are people who are just too lazy to look for things!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I ordered a new carb for my 26 roadster truck and put the rear fenders on the truck. It had a no rear fenders when i bought it!! Gonna work on it tomorrow after work. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon organizing one of seven parts draws. I made up some fold-up boxes for all the loose parts and grouped similar items together.

The fold up boxes are used for mineral specimens (my other hobby)
Here's where I get the fold up boxes I am using.

http://www.rockboxes.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Paul and james---Lucas also invented the refridgerator so the Brits could keep their beer warm...Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Finished replacing the king pins and bushings on my 27 Tudor. Waiting for the rain to clear, which might be several days to take a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Just received my town car wheels back from Stutzman's. I also got a second set back for a friend of mine's 13. They're just beautiful. This is the first time I had sent anything to them directly, so I'm just echo'ing what everyone else already knows. I also found a $1 with my receipt and a note saying I had sent a dollar too much, so that was refunded. That sort of honesty and integrity is very refreshing. Here's the wheels fresh out of the box. Pretty enough to varnish, but I'm screwball purist, so they'll get painted.

Also doing bodywork on the hood of a 1929 John Deere GP and restoring a neon "arrow" sign for the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Lucas............comes with built in smoke waiting to be released!

ONE MGTD.....cute but enough!!! Two MGB's, I would have thought they would have got it figured out by then...........wrong.

Stupid: Bought a second one because I never could get the first one to keep from burning generators out and smoking the wiring among other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Tim Snitger at Carriage Works designed and installed a rechargeable electrical/battery system on my Rajo-equipped speedster/fairground racer.

I repaired one of the rims with a new-to-me spoke provided by a gentleman here at MTFCA.COM.

Y'all are the best! '20 T Fairground Racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

The Model T Ford Club of NW Ohio extended an invitation to members of our newly formed Firelands Timeless T's club to participate in a hands-on coil rebuilding workshop at Jack Putnam's fantastic shop today. Myself, Mike Parker & Jim Riedy attended. Here's Brent Mize the Coil Doctor, on the left instructing "what to do". Great time, lots of info, lots of comraderie. We also got to see Brent's Henry Ford kitchen sink engine in operation. Now I want one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 03:13 am:

Engine pulling day at Derrick Pang's garage with Martin Vowell and Geo.n L.A.
Engine ready

Engine out

Got this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Well dad and I started up the 12 today and did a little engine temp. testing, and then we removed the water pump and tested some more. The result was we are going to run without the pump for a bit and see what happens but it looks like the pump has become a display item. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Finished assembling the engine for the '22 touring car. Set it down in the engine compartment today. It never seems to be easy to get that darn square u-joint to slide into the back of the transmission. But, today I took a look at it, realized it was all lined up where it needed to be, pried on the front of the motor with a bar and "clunk" it slid in. I took the rest of the day off. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I rolled up my side curtains and put them in their storage bag - one of my tactics to try and force spring to come early and stay! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

I install the engine on my 1911 Ford model T touring with my son. He had a wonderful smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:13 am:

It was 55 here on Friday and the ground had firmed up so I decided to rearrange the shed into Summer mode.
Among other things I fired up the '19 Touring for the first time since last Fall and took it out for a jaunt around town....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 04:39 am:

I've been working on getting all of the original muffler parts for our '25 coupe ready to install Larry's great original style exhaust pipe. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

place the T outside of the garage while I solve gasoline fume entering the house... I don't smell anything, but my better half does.
So to protect her from the elements I took a 20x20 tarp and cut and tapped to fit...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

I fired up the '26 and let it run for a while to get the winter cobs out of it. That was enough work for Saturday, so I took a nap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

After panicking about paint and thinner being outlawed I set out to stock up. 2 gals lacquer thinner for $17.00 each. A gallon of Black tractor paint $60.00. Call me Chicken Little. The Rusty T gave me a Free Start after seeing the paint. It will get even when it realizes it isn't for it.
I asked to but some empty quart and pint paint cans and they gave them to me free. Pretty nice I thought.
I prefer to let my paint dry out in several small cans rather than one big one. Masking of the can tops and pouring from the large can gets messy but a funnel is almost as bad. I find I can scoop up the spillage with a large Putty knife. A few paper towels and some thinner clean the mess up. Rather than just scribble what the paint is on the can I like to make my own labels.
Anyhow that is what I did today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Doing another horn the last couple of days, painted today, This will go on Derrick Pang's jalopy.
The only diff between his and mine that i just fixed up is the leaf springs. Mine were with 4 leafs and his has only 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Installed a generator built from good used parts now to learn how to adjust

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration