Who rebuilds starters?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Who rebuilds starters?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 02:50 am:

I looked for a current thread on rebuilt starters, but had no luck. I did find some horror stories on rebuilt starters from some of the T parts suppliers. If anyone can recommend someone who rebuilds starters the proper way, please answer here or PM me. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 05:02 am:

Maybe this can help? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/621603.html?1457049014

BE VERY CAREFUL pulling the starter out of your T engine. They have a nasty habit of badly damaging the magneto field coil inside the motor. The Bendix drive at the back end of the starter (next to the transmission pedals) needs to be taken apart first.
First, remove the little can (has one hidden screw that is a BEAR to get at). Once the can is removed, a special tab-locked bolt holds the Bendix assembly onto the armature shaft. A little tricky to get off sometimes.
AFTER the entire Bendix assembly is removed from the armature shaft, four bolts and a battery cable should release the starter out easily. (One of those four bolts is hard to get at again, try a long socket extension.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 05:51 am:

Ron Patterson builds the best starter.
Contact him and you won't be sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 06:29 am:

Ron Patterson, the most through rebuild you can get. not cheap but if you never want to take it off again this is the way to go. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. He really stands behind everything he does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Joe Mazzone, Ohio, has done a couple of generators and one starter for me. He is at Hershey each year too to accept cores and sell units.

http://buckeyeautoelectric.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Thank you, Wayne, I did remove bendix first as outlined in the repair manual. I will PM appropriate parties. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Ron Patterson has some advertised in the classifieds as we type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Starters are very durable. Why do think it needs to be rebuilt ? A local shop did re-wrap the field on one for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Model T starter faults may be separated into two categories.
Those few that render the starter totally unworkable and many cumulative wear areas allowing the starter to work poorly. How poorly depends upon the amount of cumulative wear of these later items.
There about fifteen areas that must be addressed on every starter rebuild so it will perform to original Ford specifications. And two additional modifications to correct the Ford built in oil leak and a less than robust mechanical design. These later two areas are not addressed by all rebuilders.
You can do this right once or again later if you like, but helps explains why a fully rebuilt unit is so expensive.
Ron then

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Ron Patterson,mail it to him, pay him,enjoy a functional part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Ken Kopsky has done several for me, no problems, quality rebuilds.

ccwken@wireweb.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

I have one rebuilt by Ron 8 years ago and never fail. Ron doing it right, that's all. I was so happy about he's work, I bought from him this year a complete set of coils with the coil Box. Again awesome job! But you have to pay for it. Sometimes you better pay the right price to avoid future issue and in long term you save money and time plus you enjoy more time driving your T's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration