Anone recommend the installation of a retractable awning on a trailer? (or not)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anone recommend the installation of a retractable awning on a trailer? (or not)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

am preparing to order a car hauler to move cars across country and ultimately set up the front portion to over-night in while traveling and on tour.

Not sure of the pros/cons of having an RV style awning mounted and was interested in hearing comments from those who have considered it.

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

If you get the max wide trailer, U probably won't be able to. I have a wide, open trailer that I wanted to install stake bed loops on the side but that would have put me over the legal limits on width. Worth checking into.

Nice to have the forum back...THANKS CHRIS!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

I just went out and looked at the 18' enclosed also the 5'th wheel rv. My question is where will the height come from? The top of the stored awning on the 5'th wheel is about 12'6". Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Awnings are great--shade on a hot day and a place for the bar-b-q on a rainy day, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

My motor home is the maximum 102 inches wide. I have a awning and mirrors attached to the side of it. For some reason these parts are not counted in the legal width. I see a lot of travel trailers set up with awnings.

I say go for it as you will be glad of the shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

If you deploy an awning ...

If you are staying with the trailer ...

If a wind comes up ...

The awning can easily tear off & cause damage to other property. ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

We also have a awning that will work with low headroom over our deck at 7' tall. Different from a normal rv awning the support arms fold out from the top.Bought from Mennard's at about $450.00 it work's very well. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

I have lost an awning in high wind while driving our RV on the inter-state. Wind some how can un-roll the rolled up awning and rip things apart in a split second before you know what has happened. Flying awning braces will do damage to your RV or trailer. After the new awning was installed, I now use Tie-wraps to keep this from happening again. Now, every time the awning is put out or retracted (for travel), I get up on a ladder and either cut or replace the Tie's as needed.
They are great for shade but it all comes with a price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Les - Had the same thing happen to us a few years ago going over the southern California "Grapevine" with terrific wind near top. Awning fully deployed and then slammed back closed so fast and hard that it didn't roll up again, and we were immediately approaching the top of the "Grapevine" in strong wind at highway speed, with this huge awning flapping violently. Very scary, but we were lucky and did not loose it. At the highway "pull-off" at the top, we actually had to position the motorhome sideways so as to have the awning on the "leeward" side of the motor home so I could roll it up in the strong wind.

Anyway, all of that to say that I swore that we'd NEVER have that happen again, and I purchased an excellent product from Camping World that absolutely prevents your awning from ever unrolling unintentionally. It's a very strong plastic link type strap that hooks around the awning and locks it in the rolled up position. The really neat feature is that both the locking and unlocking operation can be completed from the ground by reaching up and locking/unlocking with the 3' or 4' rod-hook that you normally use to pull the awning out from the rolled up position. Worth checking out,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I was riding with a friend, across the Chesapeake Bay 4.5 mile bridge, in a strong wind and heavy downpour when his awning came unrolled and the aluminum arms stretched out.

We made it across with the four way flashers on and he pulled over to close the arms and roll up the awning.

He stepped out into a 10 inch deep water puddle that he did not see.

to add insult to injury, a semi came by and splashed him with all the water in that puddle. He was very wet and equally upset.

We managed to put the arms back in place and tie the awning to the trailer side for the rest of our trip.

The awning was rather destroyed from flapping and the replacement awning was $500.

My point is that those awnings can be a real hazard, but there are some plus points, like a nice shade spot, if all goes well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with an awning opening while traveling. Never thought of that. I will take precautions from now on. The awnings are worth the effort to have them . I may install one on my new trailer a little later. Still have to get over buying the trailer :-). I bought my trailer 1 foot taller than the industry standard. Most enclosed (but not all) car hauler trailers seem to be a industry standard 6 foot 6 inches. (usually the inside height). After getting mine I see I could have used one that was 7 foot (inside height) to haul my 27 touring. But I think I will never regret getting the 7 foot 6 inside height trailer. I also was going to get an 18 foot trailer, but the 20 foot was only 110.00 more. I like the room in front of the car. When I install the awning on mine I may just go to the side door and not over it. With the awning open the side door will rub on the awning. Our RV trailer has the same problem. If you need to put much slope to the awning when open, the door rubs the awning. Freighter Jim is correct about the wind tearing off an awning. So I highly suggest to never leave an awning un-attended. Here are some pictures of my trailer. Just received it and I love it. Its getting loaded for its first trip to Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Having helped repair several campers with awnings,let me say, mount it well.
The vibration of travel will shake them loose where the brackets bolt on and damage the walls just enough that liquid, rain, can get in behind and cause rot damage. And do not attach the brackets on the top ,you will create a leak for sure.
Attach to the side only.
On a enclosed trailer with plywood inside, I would drill the mounting holes, and use plates inside the trailer to tighten everything up very well.
If you are with the camper when it is raining, make sure the awning leans well enough to 1 side that water will run off well. A large amount of water in a saggy awning will tear it.
If it is bad windy, roll that thing up unless you like buying and mounting another 1!
And it seems new 1's never mount the same as the old 1 and it leaves marks on the trailer.
1 more thing. Go by the local rv supply or check online for a little wheel that mounts on your side door of the trailer that will "roll" along the awning material instead of ripping a hole in it when it is drooped down.

Do not use a silicon sealer. If you do, it will work for a while but when something leaks, and you try to add some to it, it won't stick to it's self and seal. Use liquid rubber,Buytle "spelling" or that black gooey adhesive sealing tape.You can come back later with more of the same stuff to repair.
As with the air conditioner on top of the camper, check mounting bolts some times. vibration shakes that stuff alot more than we realize and it causes leaks when it is loose.
Here is the only photo I have handy of my camper that I built and installed a awning on. I bought the aluminum bracket with a round slot in it from a rv supply and mounted it to a aluminum frame work and then made steel telescopic tubings for the side arms. The awning is from a Coleman popup. that is a simple awning you roll up by hand. If you look at the very top,back corner of the side door you can see the little roller I am talking about to keep from damaging the awning with the door corner.It would not take but 1 time and it would make a mess to cut it.
Awnings can be repaired if ripped at a good upholstery shop but it is not cheap. I had the bag for this 1 repaired with new zipper. 125 bucks 2 years ago. But it was way cheaper than a new awning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:46 am:

all great info to consider and digest.

regards to all

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Here's our trailer with awning. Great addition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Scott;
I've never had an awning one my enclosed car trailers, but I have had 5 motor homes in my time. All have had very long awnings(20 ft or longer).Never had any problems, if attached properly and put up properly when traveling. If u think u need one, go for it.
RDW

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration