Fixing a switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fixing a switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Fixing an ignition switch that didn't work, I installed the backing plate that I got eight years ago and hadn't ever used until now. When I got it in, I found that it didn't work either.

Upon closer inspection I found that the terminals were slightly recessed into the phenolic plate so the moving contacts didn't touch them. The cure was reducing the thickness with a sander to expose the brass. It works now.

Sometimes a switch doesn't work because the original backing plate is warped. You may not need to replace it. It may need nothing but to be sanded flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Hmm, the way my Dad fixed a switch was to trim off the side branches so it was just a single, supple piece, and then commence to whalin'
:-)
(Actually, my Dad never took a switch to me, but I did get a paddling or two--this just hit me when I read the thread title.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:22 am:

That plate is the worst part of the re-build kits being sold. The last time I did one with a kit I used about half the parts and my fix for the plate was the same as Steve's. Still it was never a smooth operator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:40 am:

The kit I bought had a worthless plastic plate. It wasn't big enough to use as a door stop so I just threw it in a can with the other junk parts. I haven't decided what to do next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Maybe the quality has changed in the switch rebuild kits but the one I bought a few years ago for my T works fine. HMMM??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Where from John?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration