9 or 10 leaf rear spring for a Syverson Depot Hack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 9 or 10 leaf rear spring for a Syverson Depot Hack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:50 am:

My dad has a Syverson Hack body on a touring frame...35 years of too much weight on too little spring (8 leaves) has taken it's toll and there's nothing left of the rear spring.

My quandry is whether to replace with a 9 or 10 leaf spring and was wondering what others with the same/similar body did with regards to the leaf count/spring rate

thanks in advance for your comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:05 am:

I had the same problem with my 1921 Delivery. I added one additional main leaf (number two) above the bottom leaf for a total of nine and it cured the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Sedans and pickups used a 9 leaf rear spring. I don't believe Ford made a 10 leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Scott,

Like Larry, I don't believe there ever was a 10 leaf spring as part of a factory offering, but the vendors make them up today.

Whoever built my Hack in '09 (click profile)thought they would get by with a new 8 leaf rear spring...NOT...rides like someone welded the leaves together. :-) :-) (and there is nothing like the joy of needing to go down the concrete highway at 35 with the expansion slots and feel your teeth chatter with every one!)

I know I need to change it one of these days, and I sort of get it that 10 might be better since the Hack bodies generally go more in weight than a Fordor and I've been tempted to go 10, but it raises a lot of other questions for me, so I'll share the questions with you...and maybe get answers from the post too.

Is the standard center bolt long enough for 10?

Is the rear spring hanger long enough for 10?

Is the spring clamp the right length to capture 10?

I'd also question the length of each leave in the 10 set. If they are just piled up at the top with itty-biddy ones, I can't see the contribution...

Jersey George (and sometimes Largo George :-) :-) )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration