Accessory Shocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Accessory Shocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Hello All,

Just got a set of these rear shocks on ebay. They're in very good condition but I need the springs and the clips that go on top of the frame to connect the springs.

If any of you have these on your T could you please send me some good pictures so I can make the right clips. Also, if anyone has recently gone out and purchased the springs, I would love to know where you got them and an stock number. I could just guess and do this by chance ... but it would probably take a lot of experimentation to get the right ones. At least some measurement might help.

thanks

shocks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

I have something similar except using a single spring. I have been trying to identify it and find an installation photo. On the casting is *Big Six*. Once identified I will be selling.
T shock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Those double arm look like this version. Don't have any measurements for this rear axle set.

And this double arm type for the front uses long springs between the arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

There is a set of curved steel clips on T-bay right now I'm bidding on that might be what was used for the plates on top of the frame where the springs attach. But I'm not sure. Would really like to see a photograph of these installed on a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Mark
IF you draw a blank on the springs AND you can come up with detailed information on them ("wire" diameter, coil diameter, length) I can probably get them made locally here in Calgary. There is a small business here making custom smaller coil springs. He does good work for a fair price. Obviously the more you can order the better the deal. I don't personally need any, just trying to help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Did you get the special spring perch and bolt to replace the Ford perch in the backing plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

From earlier post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Mark,
These are Richardson Willcox brand from England.
The rear clips simply hook over the rear cross member, just inboard of the body mounting bolt.

The front springs on my roadster are shorter, so the bracket hangs down a bit.

When long springs are used, the bracket simply has holes in the corner of the plate, adjacent to the frame.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:03 am:

Oh crap ..... didn't know there were special perches to replace the standard Ford perches. Uggg ... so, dos anyone have a couple to spare? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Mark, I have some spares if you can't track some down locally. I just need to keep two to go with a set of shocks to sell. They should be interchangeable with yours, as they are designed to have the same shackle/bushing as standard Ts.

Front perches are standard T items, but they are swapped from one side to the other and turned outwards.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:55 am:

The springs look like those found on modern trampolines that are readily available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I sold a pair of them on e bay three weeks ago, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

I realize these are another type but I measured the springs which may be similar or at least get you in the ballpark. Coil length 6 1/2", overall length 7 5/8", coil diameter 7/8", wire diameter .168". 2 springs per wheel.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

on the front

on the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

P,S I would like to find a set for the rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

John T, I can understand your thinking on the trampoline springs looking likely candidates. However, the correct springs are much more substantial. The trampoline springs are many, to take the weight of one or two people. The shocker springs are just four at each end of the car to take the weight of the car plus passengers. The shorter front springs on my roadster are even heavier, having less coils to take the impact.

I do like the way these work. However, most suffer severely from either small load bearing areas on the arms or lack of consistent lubrication. When re-built and fitted with bushes and oilers, they give much more satisfactory service.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Richard and Allan
Yes those are much heavier than trampoline springs. I'll be home in about a week and can get a price for maybe 3 sets (24 pieces). That should be enough to get a reasonable cost. That is if there is interest?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration