Front door window glass size for a 1926/27 Fordor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front door window glass size for a 1926/27 Fordor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Trying to find front door glass size for a 1926/27 Fordor. The Ford publication that everyone seems to be referencing has that window omitted? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

The book says on page 13 that Fordor front glass is catalog number G-98. The description for G-98 says to order catalog number G-47, which is illustrated on page 10. This implies that Fordor front door window glass is the same as Coupe door window glass.

I have posted both page 13 and page 10 below. :-)

p13

p10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I'm not sure you want to use the original size glass. The modern window channel is thicker than the original felt channel. The new stuff is also steel encased in rubber. I had to reduce the width of all the windows by 1/4" inch to allow for the thicker window channel. If you don't you won't be able to roll the windows up or down and will most likely destroy the crank mechanism. You might want to make patterns out of cardboard after temporarily mounting your channels. Just a heads up on that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Joe, the front door glass is listed as "(order G-47)". That is shown on page 10 and looks to be the same as the 24-27 Coupe.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

OK, Mark types faster. Looks like you came to the right place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Thanks, I've heard that you do need to reduce the width because of the thicker felt channel. What's the best to bed the glass in the channel? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:03 am:

Joe, Langs sells the cloth tape to embed the glass on the channel. But, it needs to be pressed in and I have been very leery to do that for fear of cracking the glass. I use the Loctite PL-S30 (roof and flashing sealant) in the channel. The reason is two fold, no risk of breaking the glass and no chance for water to sit in the channel and cause rust damage. It can be cut with a razor blade if it ever has to be removed. The sealant is a soft rubber like substance when cured. Just my way of doing things. Every window channel I've seen is rusted up pretty bad due to the water being trapped in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:19 am:

I'm sure it's been asked before what was the thickness of the original window and how does it compare to modern replacement glass? Thanks for all the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:34 am:

I've found 3/16" and 1/4" plate on all the enclosed cars. They were mixed so I'm assuming the 1/4" plate was a replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:39 am:

Joe the 26 tudor I'm restoring had a safety glass replacement in the drivers door. It was so tight that you could not budge it with the regulator. That was apparently the first window the prior owner replaced and also the last. By narrowing the width a 1/4" they can still be too tight. That is why I make a cardboard template for each window.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration