OT Australian C#&&^ utility

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Australian C#&&^ utility
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:44 am:

I have just finished making a new floor for this street rod. Thought you might be interested in the body style. This is an Australian built utility body by Holdens in Adelaide. Think El Camino fore-runner. It is a Stylemaster,and really nice example that is not too extreme.

The floor is new Tasmanian Oak, a clear grained eucalypt hardwood. The customer had some special stainless steel strips to cover the joins.They came all the way from Queensland.

Now she has decided it looks too busy, so she wants me to do it all over again with planks twice as wide, and narrower covering strips. I don't mind the work, and she doesn't mind the bill, so back to thr beginning.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:51 am:

That is a cool car or truck or whatever~ nice job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:16 am:

I really like Utes. I know they are common over there but to see one here is just so unique and to see vehicles that were never made into trucks here is just mesmerizing to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Great ute!! Looks like Morris Minor taillights.

Sorry for the double post

(Message edited by vwgary on March 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Nice ute!! Looks like Morris Minor taillights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Boy! That car has "late '40's" General Motors written all over it! At first glance, overall grill shape of '47 - '48 Chevrolet, but then bigger and bit more massive and hood ornament and lower grill details hinting to late '40's Cadillac. In fact, the whole front end look massive enough to be Cadillac. Very unique and nice car whatever it's origins. Have to wonder what engine is in it, but if not original, wondering even more what the original power plant would have been. I can visualize the ol' reliable Chev "stovebolt 6", or a late '40's flathead straight 8 of the Pontiac or Oldsmobile variety, (Buick's straight 8 was overhead valve however) or even a big heavy flathead Cadillac V8,.....??? However, seeing the word "hot rod",....that would suggest to me just a plain ol' garden variety small block Chevy 350 V8. Whatever the case, a very nice car,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Gary, you are not too far off, in fact you may be correct in US terms. A Morris Minor was a rear wheel drive car which was made up to the early 60s. A Morris Mini Minor was that front wheel drive car which revolutionised the small car market. The tail lights are from a Mini Minor.

Harold, the ute is a Chev Stylemaster. As such it would have had the stovebolt 6.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Aaah,......thanks Allan. Pretty much Chevrolet "bones" then, huh? Again, very nice vehicle for sure, but I still think that hood ornament absolutely "screams" Cadillac,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

The grill is '46 Chevy, I used to own a '46 Chev Club coupe, the 345 Chevy built after the war--it's now in Italy. Was our everyday driver when we were first married (1976), sold it around 1986, sorta wish I hadn't. Had lots of '41 interior trim on it. Found out about it's early build from the new owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

The hood ornament looks like the one from my 1948 DeSoto S-11C sedan , standard on our imported cars - (our locally built Australian ones were Plymouth variants badge engineered , designated S-15 , derived from P-15 .)
There was said to have been a factory authorised version of this mascot in clear lucite with a globe to light up the area of the lady's pointy bits!

Victor .....1919 Peel ( Brisbane ) T roadster with Heinze Springfield starter/generator .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

At the Camden Show today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Allan, I saw one of those at a Auto Collection near Des Moines Iowa two years ago. They are a really cool truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 05:40 am:

Andrew's photo shows a truck based utility, think C10 type. The two tone one I was working on is a coupe utility based on the car.
Ford Australia claims to be the first to develop a coupe utility, designed by Louis Brandt in the mid 30's. There is evidence that there was an even earlier Ford than that.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 06:00 am:

This was also at the Camden show and belongs to the same guy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration