Original white tires for 1916

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Original white tires for 1916
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I read Dons thread about red tubes and I took a look at the front tires from our 16 that I believe are original to the car I noticed the numbers on tires both have 321-1510 could that be date made? The other number is g25854 on one and g13428 on other serial number Maybe? Does anyone else have any tires like these? My dad was told car had original tires from the original owner in 1941 when he bought it my dad put new tiires on back and thru away the old white ones

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:42 am:

How about sharing information on the valve stems? There should be a Schrader or Dill number on them, and measure the length too! You can reuse them too, if they are not damaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Larry 2 valve stems are Schrader 777, 1 is a dill marked 16usavs74 and the gray Firestone courier type tube has a Bridgeport tr-16 stem all measure 2.1/2 inch from nut to tip. I did bookmark your thread about about using original stems that was a winter project I never got to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Cool tires, don't know if they're originals or early replacements, but they seems to be from the teens before all tires got threaded. Most original photos of seemingly new 1916-23 Fords I've seen at the forum has had the color scheme opposite, like a white tire that got a black thread area - smooth on the front and back for '16, threaded in the rear for '17 and threaded all around in.. '18 or '19?
Ford always changed during the years and had multiple suppliers to secure a high output, so your tires may well be original - and documents that tells more about Ford's tire policies and what they bought may still be somewhere in the archives at the Benson Ford Research Center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Personally, I would like to see original tubes and era tires saved as much as reasonable. Unfortunately, it is difficult to do without expensive special storage. I have tried, and failed a few times myself. One of the earliest inner-tubes I ever had, had survived for decades inside one or more tires. I needed the tire and rim, not knowing how old the tube was inside (must have been a new tire on an old tube many years before). I was not prepared to preserve it, and had a family thing get in the way. By the time a few days (less than a week) had gone by, and I made an attempt to save it, the old tube had nearly liquefied. I still have it in a storage bag if somebody wants to come by and see it.
Cool, and dark is what old tires and tubes need. No exposure to air also helps a lot. Neither oxygen or nitrogen is good for old type processed rubber. A vacuum, or chamber filled with either helium or I think it is argon (? I am not sure about that one?). Even water filled would be better than exposure to natural air. Temperature in the Fahrenheit 40s is best, and NO UV light whatsoever.
Kept inflated lightly inside an old tire in the dark corner of the garage is the best most of us can manage. I have several old tubes and/or tires kept that way.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration