Old Photo - Moving Time!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Moving Time!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Interesting way to haul the kitchen table!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Reminds me of the time I carried a Victrola phonograph home on the handlebars of my bicycle.
Thanks Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

That table reminds me of the time many years ago when my father-in-law, a friend and I were moving my in-laws. We had my mother-in-laws nearly new dining room table in the back of the puck-up. We didn't have far to go so the table was just set into the truck bed. My father-in-law accelerated through an intersection. The table skidded upside down through the intersection independently. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Looks like they are intent on having a comfort-table picnic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Henry - Ha ha,....I betting that it would have been a bad time to ask "mother-in-law to make lunch for the moving party, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Harold,

Yeah, make lunch all right. We were lucky to survive the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Funny enough, I spent Sunday helping my best friend move into her new apartment. It's only a mile from her folks place. The truck bed was too short to fit the bed and we didn't want to disassemble it all so we laid it on top of the sides of the bed. I sat back in the bed holding it in place as we went. Mattress almost went airborne when she gunned it up the hill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I probably heard my dad tell this story a hundred times. I never got tired of it.

He was on the road one day, running a service call, when he pulled up alongside an open flatbed truck with a large wheeled safe sitting on the back of it, waiting at a red light. When the light turned green, both my dad and the truck fellow started forward. The safe stayed right where it was until it tipped off the back end of the truck.

Part two, he only told a few people.

The truck stopped in the middle of the road. My dad pulled over to the side, got out of his car and asked if the fellow was okay.
Now, my dad was 6' 4", barrel chested 250 pounds of power, and often stopped to help people in need. That day, he felt a bit snide. So when the other fellow hollered back "I'm fine! I just don't know how I can get this thing back up onto the truck!"
My dad hollered back " Glad you are okay. I figure if you are stupid enough to do something that dumb, you are smart enough to figure a way to fix it yourself!"
Got back in his car and kept going.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 02:34 am:

Well, I'll tell one on myself, AT WORK!(back when I held a "regular" job) We had to move a glass display case from storage to a museum, 3-1/2 short blocks away. I usually used my own truck at work because the POS they would assign me was beyond UGH and if I needed a truck, well, I'd spend a few hours getting it. So, Docent help me load it in the truck, no problem. It's nice and stable, so gee, only three blocks on back streets, so I just creeped along, no need to tie it down. We're doing just fine, 3/4 of a block to go and as I pass a small building to a clear area, a gust of wind blows into the cabinet, lifts it out of the bed (I'm watching this in the rear view mirror, dumb-founded) and smash onto the ground. Nothing left but glass shards and metal bits. The guy driving behind me also witness it. Lesson A: tie it down, no matter what!
Second story, not me this time. I used to tune a piano for a church, old upright and the lid has deep scratches in it. I asked if they knew how they happened. "Yeah, it fell out of the truck when we were moving it here, landed on it's top!"
That piano should not have existed anymore, but there it was, and it would hold a tuning excellently.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration