Old Photo - Brass Era - Parking At The County Fair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - Parking At The County Fair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:48 am:

r to l # 1 Flanders 20,# 2 13 overland 69,# 4 12 overland mod 59,# 5&6 brand x,#7 overland mod 69. Stanley steamer & maybe a Packard in the middle. i want them all ha ha!!!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Charley S, You are good! Most of those makes I could have gotten, but most of the model numbers? Never. I know that you are our resident Overland expert.The Stanley is a large model, but I don't know which, and the Packard is probably a model 30. Easy guess, it was their best selling model for about four years before the small six left it behind, and the hood appears too short for the six.
Great photo! Thank you Jay and Charley!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

What is the car with the big headlights at about 2 o'clock off the radiator of the Stanley ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:45 am:

that one has got me to!! after 40 years i know overlands. before that i thought there were only fords, then i got a 09 overland and fords just a job after that.a lot better car and cheaper to. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Possibly a Chalmers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

good call on that one. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 12:23 am:

As a T and a Stanley owner I was interested to see if I could find out more about the Stanley in the picture. The steam expert here on the west coast is Pat Farrell so I asked for his help. Here is what he had to say:

Ken,
Looking at the Stanley, it looks possibly to be about a 20 hp 1912 Model 74 or 1913 model 76 touring.

Based on: Height of vehicle compared with other cars. Size of boiler. Fenders’ front tips, windshield braces. Being in the middle of the field partially behind other cars makes it hard to see much of it. The original photograph’s better detail would give a person a better idea of what model it was.
SSsssteamer

Another steam expert, Allen Blazick jumped in with this:
Based on the sidelamps, headlights, and horn being nickel and black, I would say 1913. Also the windshield, no split, and it's supports to side lamp and being nickel, indicate to me 13 again. I don't think it is an model 87. Probably a model 76 or 77.

It's amazing the knowledge and expertise that's out there. Thanks for the help guys

Here's a picture of my son's and my 1911 Model 62 Stanley on a steam tour in Oregon a few years ago.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Ken F! Beautiful Stanley! I love Stanleys. Have ridden in one. I especially like the coffin-nose Stanleys.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy that wonderful car! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 04:38 am:

Beautiful car Ken. Pat's blue Roadster is also fantastic. As I recall, he has a 20 hp boiler in it (10 hp model) so it has plenty of reserve steam capacity.
I have a 20hp engine (1915) that I was going to use to build a copy of an '07 Gentleman's speedy Roadster, even drew up plans for the body, etc. but at this point in time, I don't think I'll get there--to many other things to build and do! I used to have a little steam buggy that was listed as an '02 Locomobile because that was the engine in it, but it had a white throttle, a water-tube boiler all on a replica curved dash olds body/frame. It was fun, and a challenge. Built a angle-iron slotted burner and a Coleman adapted pilot light. Took a lot of fiddling, but it actually worked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Ken, is that the Wellburn Stanley? Joy and I got a ride in that in '88. I certainly enjoyed the steam car group. I begged my way on a half dozen ID. and WA. steam tours in exchange for hauling luggage and taking videos and photos for them. Steam is beyond my abilities and budget but captured my imagination in a wonderful way.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 12:52 am:

David
Pat does have a 20 hp boiler in his 1913 10hp roadster. It's a great car that Pat has. He's taken it everywhere. Leaves us in the dust...

Richard
Our car is the Wellburn car. Here's the story. Vern Wellburn's Dad bought the car in 1962. It is an original car that has been complete since new. Vern eventually was the one driving the Stanley as his Dad wasn't comfortable with all the work involved in running a steamer. I remember Vern having the Stanley out in 1967 on a tour around BC when I was a kid. About 10 years ago Vern was concerned that the younger generation wouldn't know how to operate a steam car. He didn't want his Stanley ever to end up in a museum not being used. My son Dan was very interested in steam so Vern taught him how to fire it up and drive it. Eventually they attended a number of steam tours together. Vern passed away about 4 years ago. The estate put the Stanley up for sale and we were lucky enough to buy it. We are the 8th owners since new. It's always been a local car. Dan does all the work on it and there is always lots to do on a steamer. He's also the driver when he's not using his 12 T. We've put 1700 miles on it since we got it. Dan has an interesting blog on the car if you're interested in more info
http://steamcrazy.com/
Thanks for your interest
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

I am happy to hear this. Vern and his Father would be pleased that it is well taken care of. It was '82 that we rode with them (not '88) from McCall ID. to New Meadows. Joy had borrowed an antique dress which began disintegrating in route. She ended up wearing a lap robe. Vern was driving but both were delightful to be with. Someday I will put the videos together on DVD from those tours to share with the Steam Car folks.
Sorry for the thread drift but it is great where these old photos take us.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration