How to properly hitch up a T to pull it out of a tight spot?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to properly hitch up a T to pull it out of a tight spot?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Just wondering this. If I ever say, get a T stuck in a muddy logging trail/back road, where should someone hitch up a chain to pull me out? I've heard the front axle is a weak spot, so should hooking a chain up to it be avoided?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

If you don't have a radiator apron you can simply wrap the strap around the front crossmember.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

You need to keep in mind how the Model T is setup. The rear axle pushes on the transmission / engine; which pushes on the upper part of the front axle; with the wishbone pushing on the lower part of the front axle. If you pull on the axle directly you risk pulling the wishbone out of its socket on the engine pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

I would think the best thing would be to wrap a tow strap around a frame cross member, then the actual towing strap/rope to it, centered on the cross member strap, then pull gently. And I do mean gently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

If you can't hook it around the frame, try the front spring between the crossmember and the perch.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration