How to load a T in a trailer.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to load a T in a trailer.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

....when you don't want to put the top down!

Just put an older kit top on a T touring, owned by a now-friend from south of me in Virginia.

He didn't want to put the top down, so this is what he came up with to fit in my trailer!

This is why I do upholstery work as a hobby in my retirement, met a great guy, worked side by side with him and enjoyed it, and have a new friend!

Gotta love this hobby...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Be a lot simpler just to put the darned top down, rather than mess with the rear wheels like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

You could probably pull up that ramp in high with those little wheels :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Rear fenders are gone to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

This has got to be a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Nice job with the top -- looks so first rate that I didn't even notice the clever wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Dan;
I agree, it's got to be a joke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Cant understand that one??? More damage to paint etc removing guards and wheels than putting a top down! If the owner does not put the top down he is missing out on one of the joys of driving a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Where there is a will - there is a way ... :-)

I - for one - congratulate you & your ingenuity ....

I just picked up a conventional 24 ft. car hauler trailer with a ramp door a few weeks ago.

I had to pick from what was on the lot - the tallest rear door height was 78 inches.

While I would have rather had a taller door - truth be told that 90% of what I haul will fit thru a 78 inch door.

Good for you !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Just out of curiosity, Why did your friend not want to put the top down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

No radiator. If he runs the engine he must load it quickly or the engine will melt down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Thread drift......

Freighter Jim:

I am perplexed by your post above. You have consistently extolled the virtues of: (1) swinging rear doors and heavy duty loading ramps as opposed to a rear door ramp.....and (2) your custom manufactured trailer.

What triggered you to switch to an off the lot trailer with a rear door that doubles as a ramp?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Car is under restoration, in the last stages....so he didn't remove anything to transport like this, it's just the stage it's in. He just didn't want to put down a brand new top, it was a kit that sat in a box for over a decade, so the more it can stay stretched the better.

Not a joke, needed to move 60 miles and no high trailer to be had. Sheesh, guys, I thought it was a fun post, don't understand some of the negative responses....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Sorry for the hurt feelings David. It kind of looks like a picture you might take to pull someone's chain.

Good for him for being resourceful. And absolutely beautiful job on the top. It looks perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Timothy,

I was rear ended in my other trailer - hit & run.

It is at the manufacturer for repairs - waiting in line.

As I said - I had to pick from what is available.

All my car hauler trailers have been custom built with rear & side barn doors - but it takes (6) to (8) weeks minimum to build a trailer for my needs.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Thanks, Dan, for compliment on top. To make main top panel fit correctly, I had to take seams apart, refit, and resew. Car was winched on trailer and pushed off, no running of engine. I agree it looks silly, to me that was the fun of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

There have been a couple of times I wished I had put those little wheels on mine--or at least remembered to put the top down!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Don't let the ghetto youth see this ... it will be the next craze in fly hoop-deez ! Yo ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Here's the rear view, just to make sure you get all the enjoyment out of this thread! No fenders nor engines were harmed in this process!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Freighter Jim:

Thanks for the quick response.

I was, as I stated in my post above, perplexed that you had switched to a rear door ramp. I now understand that it wasn't your choice, per se.

I'm sorry to learn of your hit and run incident, and hope that your trailer is repaired quickly and properly.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Freighter Jim, is that a Ranchero? Lol, the first vehicle I ever remember really helping and working on as a kid with my dad was on his 1971 Ranchero. They're not very good looking, ha, but it's always been special as a result. We went and found another one with at the junkyard with an intact grill. I was maybe 7. One of these days I'll have me one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Ok, so this isn't correct?

Fortunately, no harm done and all my own fault from, mainly, inexperience. It just got away from me. After getting it back on the trailer (1.5 hours, 4 jacks, a few pieces of wood and 3 sets of ratchet straps) we winched it off and on, more controllable.

You live and learn.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Seth,

1970 GT Big Block 4 speed one owner low original miles
w/ Hurst T handle shifter .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Peter,

Take it from a dumb@ss who ran over his leg with his own truck last year - you DO get to live & learn IF you are Lucky !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:16 am:

David, wasn't trying to be negative as much as concerned for that beautiful top, as in the first picture it still doesn't look like it'd fit..and once you hit something up there, there goes your chance of ruining a perfectly good top. I'm a "better safe than sorry" guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Most people who own show cars NEVER put the top down because it just will not go back up and be totally wrinkle free again. In the day nobody cared about a few wrinkles but concourse judging is very fussy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Had about two inches clearance with the mini-wheels! It was calculated to clear....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Paul, you're not the only one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 11:23 am:

After driving my T onto the trailer for many years I bought a winch a while back. Best thing I ever did to promote longevity of the car. Not only is the car safer from my mistakes, but I didn't like the idea of slipping the low band to ease it up the ramps.

Driving onto the trailer was just too dicey. I never seemed to get any better at it. Plus, I got tired of having people crowd around just to see what was going to happen.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Dick,

Every vehicle I have ever hauled has been loaded & unloaded by remote wireless controlled electric winch except for one.

It was a new Jeep Scrambler the guy insisted on driving into the trailer & then had to back out after he could not get out thru the window.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

"No radiator. If he runs the engine he must load it quickly or the engine will melt down."

Just need to cap off the water inlet and fill it w/water, you'll be surprised how long it will run before it boils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Nice move, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Steve & Paul, that makes three of us!! Maybe we need our own "Klutz Klub"!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

David, human ingenuity at its finest!
Door height is XX". Touring is XX" tall.
How in the hexx?
Sit down with a cup or a beverage... Ponder.
Hey! If we...... What? No. Oh!. Maybe?
That's cool...
Wonderful thread as always gentlemen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Tim;
U did something like that???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Best thing I ever bought to drive a Model T onto my trailer was a Ruckstell! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Rich, not too proud to admit...yes, but to my defense, was my very first time "at the helm"...made me a fast learner!! ha ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vic Patterson. Grande Cache, Canada. on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Lizzie coming out of the garage, first and only time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

How to load a Bobcat onto a dump truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxjCK_dLPCA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:50 am:

How to remove a Morton & Brett Fronty from under a Mig Jet Fighter wing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Steve - I see your car has taken up yoga - downward facing dog

Dfd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Last Summer I ordered an 18' enclosed 8.5' wide trailer. Had them ad 18" in highth. I have no problem putting my 1911 touring in with the top up. Just used it to haul my 1950 to Richman for home coming. Dual axel, 5 foot nose. Made by Doolittle. Put a 2500lb wench in the front and use it to load and unload my cars. Have $6500 in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Like Harry the answer is to make the trailer fit the Model T. Both the Town Car and the Kamper don't have the option of lowering the roof.

The Town Car is Just over 7 ft high the Kamper is 7ft 3 inches.

I always drive them in and out, faster than winching.

TC
Kamper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Before unloading my 1922 Coupe from my open trailer at Lang's barbecue this year, I had to reset the floorboards which had blown out of place during the 130 mile haul. Reaching over, I hit the starter button and it engaged. Seemed like it would never stop, but stop it did, off the front of the trailer. Only thing that held it was the crank which hit my winch tower just ahead of the bed. Thought I lost the radiator! Lessons learned:
1. Undo rear straps last.
2. Don't keep car in gear when towing.
3. Don't be in a stupid hurry to address the changed sequence.
4. Save the embarrassment for some lesser goof-up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:50 am:

The way I fixed the failure to stop at the front problem: installed motorcycle chalks in the front of the trailer. They provide a secure stop that also centers and secures the front end. No chance of overshoot incidents and always have the T in its proper position. The front straps hold the car securely and I still use the rear straps crossed so nothing can slide sideways. And yes, I drive my cars into the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:32 am:

All too often i think people buy the wrong trailer by thinking they will only use it for model T's! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Probably going to order a GPS device to my trailer. Found a company that the unit is small-about the size of a dollar bill, maybe 3/4" thick, run 3-5 years on four AA lithium batteries. Will send out signals that will show location on an app for my smart phone, iPad, or computer, text messages, and or emails. Will be programmed to send a notice per day to tell me it is working. Then if trailer is moved one mile, it will start sending locations. Batteries last 3-5 years. $285 for unit to include shipping and activation. $10.00 per month. Used a lot on shipping containers world wide. Water proof. If it works well, I will report back on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:27 am:

I had to use a regular trailer for a couple years after the tall one was in an accident. Putting the top up and down constantly was a pain. Nice that the new trailer is 7'4 and I can drive right in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Good looking set up I like the height. I would won't to be able to drive in..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Troy - I like the lights along the lower wall. Nice looking trailer.

I was lucky enough to find my trailer after someone else took the dealer hit on the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Thanks a guy on the trailer section of another board suggested the low 12V loading lights. It also has a ramp light you can see at the top. They were $25 per extra when I ordered it. I tried for about a year to find a decent used tall trailer. Everything I found needed major work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

I have been looking at enclosed trailers for several weeks on line. I am considering a 24ft with 7.1ft roof. I can't haul my model T s Or A s anymore without worrying about leaving them on open trailers when we get to go to a show. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Tim,
Why 7.1 ft roof? Someone above mentioned their car was 7ft 3in. My TT is 7-3, and my Hack is close to that. Trailer builders usually charge for extra height in 6in increments. I'd recommend 7-6. Mine is 8ft inside. Beware of some of the online offers--especially near to you! I've seen some of those, and I'd be afraid to put one of my cars on the road in them! Look for spacing of the crossmembers and thickness of the crossmembers. Also, many are built with a pair of 3500 lb axles. Not smart for a trailer that weighs nearly 4000 empty. I saw a guy arrive at a show with a Camaro in one of those and when he opened the door, the inner wall was black and smoking above the wheel well from the inner fender pressing down on the wheel at interstate speeds for a couple of hours. Some dealers are pushing the glued sides rather than screwed. Read the fine print--all I've seen say if it comes loose under warrantee, they'll fix it with screws. My neighbor had a glued panel trailer that someone backed into and dinged a panel -- he ended up replacing the whole side. Some use luan panels aprox 1/8 in thick for the inner walls. Sometimes you can't afford cheaper if you plan to use it safely and for a long time, also, you may want to haul something more than a T sometime.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration