Kevlar band lint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Kevlar band lint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Buelke on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Has anyone else experienced what you considered excessive lint collecting on your oil filter or in you drain oil after installing new kevlar bands? We've had a couple incidents where lint continued to mat on the screen for several hundred miles through several oil changes and in one recent rebuild, there was suspicion that it partially blocked the outside oil line. There are apparently two manufacturers of these bands and we haven't kept track of which sources we are using that might be a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Do you have rough or cracked drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Yes, check your drums. I had lots of lint because a bad reverse drum was chewing up the Kevlar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Don,

I've also experienced fraying Kevlar on my brake band where it meets the driven plate.

I use a transmission inspection plate filter and the lint was enough to make the oil pool up in the filter area. It made a real mess when I removed the inspection plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

I didn't have a problem, no fuzz!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Your low speed drum looks bad. You may have a cracked drum and not know it, like I had recently. Bottom line is you shouldn't have that much lint. Check the drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Warren,

I'm fairly confident it's coming from the edge of the outermost band, as you can see in the picture. Not the low drum.

I agree low looks scored in the picture but it's actually in decent (not new) shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 02:20 am:

Drums with sharp edges will cause Kevlar Bands to produce excessive lint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 04:42 am:

Don, I had the same problem with a 1924 touring I had. The drums were near perfect with no scoring and no cracks. In addition to the lint, I could not get a decent brake effect. I lived with it. I never noticed any wear and drove the car about 5k miles over about 6 years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration