Replacing brush plate insulators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacing brush plate insulators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 06:50 am:

I recently acquired a T generator that appears to be in fairly good shape, but the brush plate insulator is missing a small piece where the 3rd brush rides. I see that Langs does carry complete assembles, and two different sets of insulators (one of which needs to be modified). The brush holders and insulators are riveted so they obviously need to be drilled out. So I'm looking for advice on how to drill them out and rerivet them, and any other advice. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Gary ; When the insulator under the insulated brush looks good,I leave it!! And just change the insulator under the 3'brush.
Toon
1477small
1478small
1479small

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:34 am:

While I don't advocate leaving the carbon/oil soaked insulator under the positive brush holder, Anthonie's method will save you from having to drill and tap the brush holders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Gary,
I mostly replace the insulator plates the way Anthonie does but sometimes you need to replace it all.
Here is the way I change the + coil brush holder.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Gary
I recommend using the FunProjects generator brushplate insulators and install them using the MTFCA "Brushplate Rebuilding" video.
The grey fiber insulators being sold require modification and the rivet holes are not correctly located making installation difficult.
The FP insulators are electrical grade fiberglass precision laser cut using original Ford specifications.
Lang's also sell a completely rebuilt generator brushplate.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

I really appreciate all of the responses from you guys. It's a good feeling knowing that there is so much knowledge out there. I had an emergency plumbing job I had to do for my mother-in-law today, so now I will be able to order my insulators. Thanks again.
Gary

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration