Hogshead going back together on piece at a time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hogshead going back together on piece at a time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:44 am:

I have the original clutch rod that came from the old hogshead and acquired a pre-owned.
It seems that the pre-owned clutch rod is quite a bit longer.
The original clutch rod, the shorter one will be used.
Any idea what the longer clutch rod would have come from?
The older one came with pins. I was going to use them but they need to be trimmed.
About how long should the pin be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:29 am:

The rivet needs to be cut off about 2X the diameter of the hole past flush. That way when you buck the rivet it can be driven down to a nice buck tail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:41 am:

In early hogsheads up to 1917 the clutch shaft went all the way out in the open on the other side, but that's an unnecessary oil leak area - and unnecessary waste of high grade shaft material, so Ford shortened the shaft on later models and closed off the opening in the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Ford shortened the shaft but looks to me that the one you are planning to use is too short on the passenger side. Looks like the passenger end would not even reach all the way to the hole it rides in or if it does not really have the support it needs. Check your fit before you go too far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

The rod that I am going to use goes in the passenger side just shy of 1/2 inch. The sleeve is just short of 3/4 inch deep. The shorter one is the one that was in the car. So I can use it for a while.
Should the rod go the full 3/4 into the sleeve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

If I need a longer rod. What is the name of the part in the picture above?
Is it a clutch control rod?
Any idea what the length should be?

Can I use the one that came out of the car?
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure that I get it as close to right as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

That part is Clutch lever and shaft #3204D

The longer earlier 3402 is 9 7/8" long.

If the T is the same in your profile, you have a '26-'27 and should be s late hogshead with ears to fit to the block. That transmission cover should have the shorter length 3204D. The fit of the shaft into the blind hole in the hogshead is about 1/2" or so, it should not hit the bottom of the blind hole, there needs to be wiggle room, allows the clutch fork to self-center.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration